CWRU Links
Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

41ST OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT

41ST OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT

The 41ST OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT, 1861-65, rendezvoused and was organized for service in the CIVIL WAR between 26 Aug. 1861 and 29 Oct. 1861, at Camp Wood in Cleveland. The 41st was mustered into federal service on 31 Oct. 1861. Approximately 407 Cleveland men served in its ranks. After duty at Camp Dennison near Cincinnati, the 41st was assigned to the 15th Brigade, Army of the Ohio, from Dec. 1861-Jan. 1862, and then to the 4th Division until Feb. 1862, serving at Camp Wycliffe, KY. The 41st was assigned to the 19th Brigade, 4th Div., Army of the Ohio, from Feb. to Sept. 1862, and to the 2d Corps from Sept. to Nov. 1862, when it saw action at Shiloh, TN, and Corinth, MS.

From Nov. 1862 until Jan. 1863, the 41st was assigned to the 2d Brigade, 2d Div., Left Wing, 14th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland. It participated in the Battle of Stone's River. From Jan. to Oct. 1863, the regiment was assigned to the 2d Brigade, 2d Div., 21st Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, under which it fought in the Tullahoma, TN, Campaign, the Battle of Chickamauga, and the Siege of Chattanooga. Between Oct. 1863 and Aug. 1865, the 41st was assigned to the 2d Brigade, 3d Div., 4th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, and was active in Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia. Between Aug. and Nov. 1865, the regiment was assigned to the Dept. of Texas and was on duty at San Antonio until mustered out on 27 Nov. 1865, discharged and paid off at Camp Chase in Columbus, OH. The 41st had achieved veteran status in Jan. 1864 and had taken its veteran furlough, passing through Camp Cleveland, in Feb.-March. Losses were reported at 300, with 8 officers and 168 enlisted men dead from hostile causes and 1 officer and 153 enlisted men dead from disease. Regimental commanders included William B. Hazen and AQUILA WILEY.


Kimberly, Robert L., and Holloway, Aphraim S. The Forty-first Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry. . . . (1897).

See also CIVIL WAR CAMPS IN CLEVELAND.