The FRIDRICH BICYCLE COMPANY, began as a coal and animal feed store in 1883 on Lorain Avenue in OHIO CITY. An 1888 Cleveland Directory lists Schmitt & Fridrich Coal (partners: August Schmitt and Joseph W. Fridrich) at 840 Lorain Avenue. By the turn of the century, the store had moved to its current (2017) location at 3821 Lorain Avenue.
Over the years, the store offered a variety of products, including coal, animal feed, automobile supplies, and bicycles. By 1913, the business was known as the Fridrich Bicycle Company. In 2015, its product line focused mainly on bicycles, and the store was the largest and oldest bike shop in Cleveland. Additionally it sold trikes, wagons, and sleds. As of 2017, the company was still owned and operated by the Fridrich family.
Jennifer Graham, Western Reserve Historical Society
Cleveland Plain Dealer
Cleveland City Directories