HATHAWAY BROWN, the oldest surviving private girls' school in the Cleveland area, was founded in 1876 as an adjunct to the
The school's early mission was two-fold: to prepare upper-class women for a career in society and to equip them with well-trained minds. Grades kindergarten through twelve were offered. The most prominent of its early buildings was erected in 1905 on Logan (East 97th) Street through a substantial gift by
At present (2007), the school offers a coeducational Early Childhood Program for three, four, and five-year-olds. Hathaway Brown's educational program emphasizes college preparation, offering Advanced Placement and college level coursework in math, science, English, history, and art, still closely following the school's original motto, non scholae sed vitae dicimus ("we learn not for school, but for life"). One hundred percent of its graduates attend four-year colleges or universities after graduation. Since 1985, the school has received the prestigious "Excellence in English" Award several times, and the Exemplary Foreign Language Award. The school established a fully equipped woodworking laboratory in 1993, a new middle school complex in 2001, and the Carol and John Butler Aquatic Center in 2005. The current Head of School is H. William Christ.
Needham, Ruth Crofut, and Ruth Strong Hudson. The First Hundred Years: Hathaway Brown School (1977).