KETTERINGHAM, GEORGE H. (11 Feb. 1876-29 Dec. 1954) was a developer of technical instruments manufactured by Cleveland industry. His innovations included the harvesting of spider web for use as cross hairs in optical equipment and perfection of electro-pezioid crystal for electrical devices.
Ketteringham was born in Crowland, England, and came to Cleveland with his family in 1881. On 11 Aug. 1905, he was married to Rose L. Wise. They had twin girls, Rose and Ruth.
Ketteringham began his career as an apprentice at the J.C. Ulmer Co. in 1896.
There he became an expert in the manufacturing of surveying and other precision
During construction projects such as the
In 1933, Ketteringham joined the Bonnar-Vawter Fanform Co. His mechanical expertise was utilized for the care and maintenance of large-scale printing presses.
At the start of
In April, 1993, the Smithsonian Institute accepted Ruth Ketteringham's submission of her father's professional papers, spider web harvesting tools and webbing samples to their permanent collection.
View Road, adjacent to the Metrohealth Medical Hospital, was dedicated as Ketteringham Drive in honor of George on 10 Sept. 1993. It was the longtime site of the family residence.