LAZAR, ALMA TREBEC (13 July 1911-11 April 1993) was an original trustee member who helped found the SLOVENE HOME FOR THE AGED and served as either board secretary or treasurer from when the nursing home opened in 1962, until her death.
Born in Yugoslavia she immigrated to the United States with her parents at the age of 2, settling initially in Cleveland. The family then moved to a farm in LeRoy, Ohio, where she graduated from Westfield High School in 1929. She then moved to Cleveland and worked as a bookkeeper. Alma married Walter Lazar on February 12, 1932. During World War II she began working as an assembler at the Coit Road Fisher Body Plant retiring after 30 years in 1972.
During the late 1950s Alma Lazar volunteered to help organize the Slovene Home For The Aged at 18621 Neff Rd. When it opened it was only the second nursing home in the country built to serve Slovenian-Americans. In 1971 Mrs. Lazar helped plan an addition that tripled the home's capacity and provided facilties for occupational and physical therapy.
In 1980 Mrs. Lazar was twice honored: first, by The Greater Cleveland Hospital Association as an outstanding trustee and, second, by the United Slovene Society for outstanding service to the Slovenian community.
Mrs. Lazar belonged to PROGRESSIVE SLOVENIAN WOMEN, serving as secretary from 1965-1985, and worked 20 years on the farm board of the Slovenian National Benefit Society's which operates a campground in Kirtland.
The Lazars had three children: Joanne Zupancic, Walter Jr., and Robert. Mrs. Lazar is buried in Highland Park Cemetery.