MONITOR CLEVELANDSKI could trace its origins back to Polonia w Ameryce (Poland in America, est. Jan. 1892), Cleveland's first Polish newspaper. Located on E. 65th St., the original weekly was edited by John Malkowski and included among its incorporators such Polish-American businessmen as Stanley Lewandowski, MICHAEL KNIOLA, and Matt Dluzynski. It was purchased by 1897 by Theodore Dluzynski, who installed L. S. Devyno as editor, purchased a new press, and erected a new building for the paper. He also succeeded in having a street parallel to the 6800-7100 block of Harvard Ave. named Polonia Ave., probably the only Cleveland street ever named after a newspaper. When it absorbed the Polish weekly Jutrzenka (Morning Star) in 1918, Polonia began daily publication. It was sold in 1922 to the publishers of the Detroit Daily Record, who changed its name to the Polish Daily Monitor and resold it 3 years later to another local group. Wladyslaw J. Nowak, a wholesale grocer, emerged as the Monitor's new publisher. Selling off his grocery business, Nowak concentrated his attention on the newspaper, which was operated at 6875 Broadway Ave. in a building that also housed the United Publishing Co. Under Nowak and his editors, the Monitor attacked the growth of socialism in Poland and served as the unofficial organ of the Polish Catholic parishes of Cleveland. It continued until 13 June 1938, when it was sold to the city's other Polish daily, WIADOMOSCI CODZIENNE (Polish Daily News), and suspended.