NASH, HELEN MILLIKIN (21 Feb. 1893-31 Aug. 1990), was an original trustee of the Shaker Lakes Regional Nature Center whose interest in the preservation of open space contributed to local efforts to create the center.
Born in Cleveland to Benjamin and Julia Severance Millikin, Helen attended Froebel School, graduated from HATHAWAY BROWN in 1910, and Wells College in 1914.
Interested in horticulture and conservation, Nash became a member of the Shaker Lakes Garden Club and served as President, 1934-1938. She later joined the Garden Center of Greater Cleveland (see CLEVELAND BOTANICAL GARDEN), serving as first Vice-President, 1947-1948 and President, 1949-195l. Under her leadership, the Garden Center increased its membership and added responsibilities in community development. In 1957 she received the Frances McIntosh Sherwin Award for outstanding service to the Garden Center.
When the SHAKER LAKES area was threatened in the mid-1960s by the proposed Clark Freeway, Nash anonymously contributed one-half the cost of a National Audubon Society Study which concluded that the Lakes area should be preserved (Audubon paid the other half). This lead to the creation of the Shaker Lakes Regional Nature Center in 1966 and later designation of the area as a national environmental education landmark.
Nash served on the boards of numerous institutions including the Beech Brook Children's Home (see BEECH BROOK INC.), 1929-1932; Lyndhurst-South Euclid Board of Education, 1935-1944; VISITING NURSE ASSN. OF CLEVE., board President 1943-1946; and CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA, 1944-1990.
Cleveland Families Oral History Project, 1982-1985, WRHS Records.