NINE MILE CREEK has its headwaters just south of Cedar Rd. between Green and Richmond roads, runs through EAST CLEVELAND, and empties into Lake Erie some 9 mi. from PUBLIC SQUARE. The creek was the site of Cleveland's first church, the Plan of Union (later the FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF E.CLEVELAND), in 1807. It later powered small mills and a tannery. Because of the stream's beauty, SAMUEL MATHER located his summer home (Shoreby) on its banks in BRATENAHL. Nine Mile Creek briefly gave its name to the village later called COLLAMER or E. Cleveland.