The S. LIVINGSTON MATHER CHARITABLE TRUST was founded in 1953 in Cleveland by CLEVELAND CLIFFS IRON CO. vice-pres. SAMUEL LIVINGSTON MATHER. The trust supports EDUCATION, programs for children and youth, mental health, social services, cultural activities, and protection of the environment and natural resources, primarily in northeast Ohio. It does not grant to individuals or for endowment funds, scientific and medical research, matching gifts, annual campaigns, deficit financing, land acquisition, or loans. The Mather trust also avoids areas "appropriately" supported by the government or UNITED WAY SERVICES. The largest grant ever given by the Mather trust was to the CHILDREN'S AID SOCIETY. Recipients have included the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY, PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF GREATER CLEVELAND, the Child Guidance Center (see GUIDANCE CENTERS), HIRAM HOUSE camp, and the CLEVELAND INSTITUTE OF ART. In 1993, with assets of $3.9 million, the trust disbursed $190,250 for 55 grants of between $150 and $32,000. Elizabeth M. McMillan was president, and S. Sterling McMillan served as secretary. Trust offices were at 803 Tower East, 20600 Chagrin Blvd. in SHAKER HTS.
See also PHILANTHROPY and FOUNDATIONS.