SECESH CANNON is a confederate rifled artillery piece captured by Cleveland troops early in the Civil War. At the outbreak of the Civil War in April 1861, several artillery companies from the Cleveland area were ordered into western Virginia as Battery A, 1st Regiment, Light Artillery, Ohio Volunteer Militia, as part of the 3d Brigade, 4th Div. of the Ohio Volunteer Militia. Col.
Federal forces commanded by Mjr. Gen. George B. McClellan were successful in thwarting a Confederate invasion of western Virginia. On 13 July 1861, Battery A, with other Federal units, attacked Confederates withdrawing across the Cheat River at Carrick's Ford (also referred to as Corrick's Ford). The Confederates left behind most of their supply wagons and "one fine rifled piece of artillery," which was captured by the Cleveland Light Artillery, one of Battery A's constituent units.
Carrick's Ford marked the end of Battery A's 3-month term of service in the field. The commander of the federal force at Carrick's Ford awarded Barnett's unit the captured cannon. The cannon was brought to Cleveland during welcoming-home ceremonies on 29 July 1861. The cannon became known locally as the "old secesh cannon," or simply, the "secesh cannon." For the remainder of the Civil War, the cannon was displayed at Camp Cleveland on Univ. Hts. (see
The cannon was displayed on
The iron barrel with a 3-inch bore was manufactured in 1861 for the state of North Carolina at Joseph Reid Anderson's Tredegar Foundry in Richmond, VA, and bears the number 1151. In 1995 it was on permanent display on the ground floor in Grays Armory at 1234 Bolivar Rd. The piece may be the only surviving captured Confederate cannon in existence in any major northern city.