SHURTLEFF, GLEN KASSIMER (21 Nov. 1860-5 Jan. 1909), Secretary of the YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION (YMCA) of Cleveland (1 Sept. 1893-1909), promoted the extension of YMCA religious work locally and nationally. An active member of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, he advocated a city-wide sanitary code (see SANITATION) and creating the CUYAHOGA COUNTY JUVENILE COURT. Born in Watkins Glen, NY, to Julia M. Finney and the Rev. Alonzo H. Shurtleff, he was educated at the Monroe Collegiate Institute, the Phoenix Academy, the Syracuse Classical School, and Syracuse University. He was secretary of the YMCA in Utica, NY (1883) and Denver, CO (1889). Shurtleff entered YMCA work in Cleveland 1892, as president, and became secretary the next year. During his superintendency, the local YMCA acquired new staff and 5 new buildings--the Erie St. Annex, at Broadway, in Linndale, the West Side Boys' Club, and the Central Boys' Dept. Annex. During his tenure, the Cleveland YMCA's religious work department had the most attendees at Bible study of any in North America, though it was only the continent's 7th largest YMCA. Shurtleff promoted the association's expansion of religious work nationally, organizing and directing the Niagara Falls Conference (1897) to study and discuss the matter. Founder and president of the Society for the Promotion of Social Service, he worked for social betterment, especially of CHILDREN AND YOUTH, promoting improved playgrounds, among other causes. His friends and advisees included NEWTON D. BAKER, then City Solicitor. Shurtleff married Gertrude E. Packard on 8 Oct. 1884. They had no children. He is buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.
YMCA. Glen K. Shurtleff Memorial (1909).