SMITH, CHARLES HENRY (23 Nov. 1837-13 Aug. 1912), attorney, merchant, banker, and volunteer Civil War officer, was born in Taunton, Mass. to Thomas and Ann Clark Smith. He lived in Fall River, Mass. (1845-50) and Jamestown, N.Y. (1850-56) before moving to Cleveland in 1856 and going into the furniture business. When the
Smith was commissioned 1st lieutenant on 9 May 1864, captain on 3 Nov. 1864, and major on 3 May 1865. He was mustered out and discharged in July 1865. Smith received a law degree from Ohio State University in 1871, but did not practice. Instead, he spent 33 years in the grain trade, also serving as a director and treasurer of Equity Savings & Loan Co. He married Louisa M. Johnson in 1868 and had 3 daughters: Mildred, Nina, and Edith, and a son. He participated in several military organizations and was a Mason. Smith died at his residence in Cleveland, and was buried in
Chas. H. Smith Papers, WRHS.
Smith, Charles H. The History of Fuller's Ohio Brigade, 1861-1865 (1909).