SOUTH BROOKLYN, centering around the intersection of Pearl and Broadview roads, is a part of Cleveland's west side that was once the village of Brighton. Along with OHIO CITY, W. Cleveland, Old Brooklyn, LINNDALE, BROADVIEW HTS., and BROOKLYN, Brighton was created from Brooklyn Twp. Originally part of Warren Young's farm, Brighton was organized as a village in 1836 to capitalize on an expected land boom. When the expected growth did not occur, the residents lost interest in the village organization and let the general assembly revoke its charter in 1839. Brighton reverted to the township, although the name stuck. In 1889 the community was organized under the name S. Brooklyn, amid protest by area businesses who feared new regulations. The village, which had 800 people at its inception, was viewed as a haven from the soot of Cleveland. In an election held in 1905, however, S. Brooklyn citizens voted 411-198 to become part of the city, despite a desperate fight for independence staged by a vocal minority.