The STELLA MARIS DETOX CENTER, an alcohol and drug treatment and rehabilitation center at 1320 Washington Ave., was founded on 10 May 1948. Several people, led by Fr. Otis S. Winchester, assistant pastor at
Donations and the sale of furniture renovated by residents funded Stella Maris in its early years. Described as "ruggedly individualistic," the home insisted on individual responsibility in rehabilitation and refused to take advantage of government grants. In 1981 Stella Maris, operating on a monthly budget of $35,000, renovated its detoxification center to become certified for insurance payments. By 1989 Stella Maris offered in-patient treatment for both alcohol and drug addiction, including detoxification, counseling, aftercare, and job referrals, and operated a halfway house for former addicts and a retail store selling refurbished items. In 1993 the center initiated a $600,000 renovation project for its main building, with plans to similarly renovate the men's halfway house in 1995-96. Margaret Rocke served as executive director in 1995.