STOCK EQUIPMENT, a world leader in the design and building of bulk
material flow-control equipment for the power and energy industry, was founded
by Arthur J. Stock on 1 Oct. 1929. Stock, a mechanical engineer, secured patents
for a distributor for use in stoker-fired boilers and he formed Stock Equipment
to provide products for stoker-fired coal applications. Interestingly, Stock invented
a variety of products including staplers, hollow rubber balls, and an improved nipple
for baby bottles. Most of his efforts, however, were largely for use by the
power generation industry. Until the late 1960s, the company's major specialty
was feeding, measuring, and controlling the flow of coal from the coal bunker to
pulverizers or stokers. As demand for electricity increased in the 1950s and 1960s and concerned about pollution grew, the
firm developed a gravimetric feeder to permit accurate control of combustion in
the boiler and minimize stack emissions. The gravimetric feeder was first
installed at the Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation's Dunkirk station in 1957.
These developments soon set the standard for the power industry for many years.
In 1967 Stock began developing radioactive waste-disposal equipment for use in
North American nuclear-power plants. By 1986 the company produced solid radwaste
systems, dry waste compactors, and remotely operated materials-handling
equipment, offering its radioactive and nonradioactive waste systems to a world
market. The company's headquarters and main manufacturing plant were in
Since 1980 Stock Equipment has been a unit of General Signal. As a member of General Signal, Stock Equipment has seen both highs and lows. After a peak year in 1981, the company lost $33 million in subsequent years. Under the leadership of chairman Edmund M. Carpenter, however, the company boasted 1993 earnings of $66.6 million. In 2003, Stock Equipment was acquired by Portland, Oregon-based Riverlake Partners LLC. Annual revenues at the time of the sale were $50 million. In 2004, Stock Equipment was headquartered at 16490 Chillicothe Rd. in Chagrin Falls and the company employed just under 200 workers.