The 29TH OHIO VOLUNTEER MILITIA was created in 1863 after the passage of a state law requiring all white male citizens ages 18-45 to enroll for 5 years' military service. It was composed primarily of men from each of Cleveland's 16 wards. Little is known about the personnel or organization of this unit, although the following individuals were listed as officers in Aug. 1863: WILLIAM H. HAYWARD, col., JOHN FRAZEE, lt. col., and J. Dwight Palmer, major. Companies A and B of the militia were composed solely of members of the CLEVELAND GRAYS. The Grays also provided equipment to the 29th in Nov. 1863. The unit's functions were primarily social and ceremonial, such as providing an honor escort for regiments returning from the CIVIL WAR and participating in Pres. ABRAHAM LINCOLN'S FUNERAL in Cleveland in Apr. 1865. Individual companies held balls and masquerade socials until the end of the Civil War, along with maintaining a regular schedule of drill. However, the militia was mustered in on 5 May 1864 for 100 days of federal service and ordered to Washington, at which time it was apparently redesignated the 150TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY. The militia drifted into inactivity after the end of the war and by Dec. 1865 seems to have disbanded.