TENESY, ROSE L. GERAK (19 June 1890-16 Aug. 1992), who claimed to have voted in every election since WOMEN gained the franchise in 1920, was the first woman ward leader for the CUYAHOGA COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY (1920-40). As state committeewoman from the 21st District, she helped form the Federated Democratic Women of Ohio (1932), presided over the organization for 18 years and was honored by it in February 1992 for her continuous service. Tenesy was born in Cleveland to John and Julia Matowitz Gerak. Her father, a manager of the Landisman-Hersheimer factory, did not believe in educating women and forced Tenesy to quit school and work in the factory after the third grade.
Rose married George S. Tenesy (d. 1948) on 3 July 1907 and managed a store to help him through law school. He later became a Cleveland municipal court judge. The couple lived in Cleveland with their son, George W. Tenesy ran unsuccessfully for state representative in 1948 and again in 1950. Her campaign platform included the elimination of sales tax. In other activities, she was district leader of the AMERICAN RED CROSS, CLEVELAND CHAPTER, worked with the Community Fund, served as president of the Women's Slovak Club for 27 years, and belonged to FIRST CATHOLIC SLOVAK LADIES ASSOCIATION OF THE USA AND CANADA and St. Benedict Catholic Church, Cleveland. She helped raise the funds to build the VILLA SANCTA ANNA HOME, where she died. Tenesy is buried in CALVARY CEMETERY.