The TREUHAFT FOUNDATION distributed funds for charitable purposes in Cleveland and elsewhere from 1955 to 1991. Founded by WM. C. TREUHAFT with EUGENE H. FREEDHEIM, the foundation emphasized HIGHER EDUCATION, MUSIC and cultural programs, and the welfare of JEWS AND JUDAISM, contributing to such institutions as BALDWIN-WALLACE COLLEGE, HATHAWAY BROWN, Smith College, URSULINE COLLEGE, and UNIV. CIRCLE, INC. In 1979 the Treuhaft Foundation donated $1.5 million for an endowed chair in EDUCATION and the humanities at CASE WESTERM RESERVE UNIVERSITY. The foundation helped fund the Cleveland Arts Prize in 1987. In 1991 the foundation was dissolved. It transferred $18 million of its assets to the newly established Elizabeth M. and Wm. C. Treuhaft Fund, a CLEVELAND FOUNDATION donor advisor fund, and an additional $4.25 million to the TREU-MART FUND, a supporting organization of the Cleveland Foundation and the JEWISH COMMUNITY FEDERATION.
See also PHILANTHROPY, FOUNDATIONS.