WALTON, JOHN WHITTLESEY (15 Jan. 1845-19 Nov. 1926), prominent businessman and philanthropist and son of Lucius Clark and Mary (Vesta) Whittlesay Walton, formed a partnership with J. E. Upson in 1871 and started a business as ship chandlers and grocers in the Winslow Bldg. The ship chandlery business grew, leading to the incorporation of the Upson-Walton Co. in 1893, with Walton as the second president of the company after Upson. Upson-Walton eventually achieved worldwide distribution and was the only U.S. company to combine the manufacturing of wire rope, tackle blocks, and rope fittings. It also operated the only rope mill in Ohio. Walton used his wealth and influence to aid various civic and charitable causes in Cleveland. In 1867 he helped revive the Cleveland
John Whittlesey Walton Papers, WRHS.