WIEBER, CHARLES L. F. (15 Feb. 1861 - 28 Aug.1931) was a successful businessman identified primarily with the Rauch & Lang Carriage Co. who also skillfully managed many businesses in the tailoring, real estate and investment fields.
Born in Cleveland to Jacob and Salome (Zipf), Wieber attended private schools and enrolled in the Spencerian Business College to prepare for a business career. After his father's death Wieber helped his mother manage the family tailoring business on Detroit Ave. In 1902 Wieber incorporated the business as the Wieber Co., Merchant Tailors, naming himself president and treasurer and relocating downtown in the Lennox building on Euclid Ave. The Wieber Co. became the largest, most exclusive men's tailoring shop west of New York City.
In 1910 Wieber sold his interest in the Wieber Co. to focus his attention on Rauch & Lang, electric auto manufacturers, which he had joined in 1907. Wieber was vice president and general manager of the company, remaining so after it merged with the BAKER MOTOR VEHICLE COMPANY to form Baker-R & L in 1915.
During his later years Wieber worked in real estate, serving as president of the Lakewood Realty Co. and the Wieber Realty Co. Wieber helped organize the Forest City Savings & Trust Co. and, at the time of his death, he was president of the Detroit Street Investment Co.
Wieber married Martha Dietz on 8 Jan. 1889. They had four children: Charles Jr., Alvina, Martha and Walter. Wieber lived in Lakewood, belonged to the First Unitarian Church and is buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.