The WILLIAM BINGHAM FOUNDATION was founded in 1955 in Cleveland by Elizabeth Bingham Blossom ( -1970) from the proceeds the estate of her brother, Wm. Bingham II (1879-1955). Elizabeth Blossom was the daughter of CHAS. W. BINGHAM and married to DUDLEY S. BLOSSOM. Upon Blossom's death in 1970, her estate was added to the Bingham Foundation, bringing its holdings to $17 million. Under her administration the foundation had granted to local nonprofit organizations in the fine arts, education, health and welfare, as well as environmental conservation programs. In 1977 the foundation expanded to include less traditional interests and broadened its geographic scope to the U.S. In 1983 Bingham cosponsored the Atom: Peril and Promise exhibit with the CLEVELAND HEALTH EDUCATION MUSEUM. In its largest grant to date, the foundation donated $1 million to the Environmental Defense Fund in 1988 to study the ozone layer. The foundation has also supported the Nuclear Age Resource Center. In 1993, with assets of over $32.9 million, the Bingham Foundation disbursed over $1.6 million for 38 grants between $2,000 and $275,000. Laura H. Gilbertson was foundation director, and Eliz. B. Heffernan was president. Foundation offices were located in the Leader Bldg. downtown.
See also PHILANTHROPY, FOUNDATIONS.