WOODRUFF MEMORIAL INSTITUTE (also known as Woodruff Hospital and formerly as Ingleside Hospital), located at 1950 E. 89th St., served as a voluntary short-term psychiatric hospital from 1935-86. In 1959 it was listed as one of the nation's top dozen psychiatric hospitals. Ingleside Hospital was established in a 15-room mansion at 1906 E. 75th St. (formerly Ingleside Ave.) by MABEL A. WOODRUFF, a psychiatric social worker. Woodruff served as director, assisted by George H. Holmes. Ingleside incorporated in 1937 as a nonprofit institution dedicated to the mental health of the people of Cleveland. The hospital moved to the former site of HURON RD. HOSPITAL at 8811 Euclid Ave., previously the residence of Julia Severance Millikin. In 1968 Ingleside experienced severe financial problems, exacerbated by a strike of non-professional employees of Local 47 of the Building & Service Employees Union and a dispute between the hospital trustees and the medical staff. The hospital declared bankruptcy and closed for over a year. It reopened in 1969, renamed Woodruff Memorial Institute in honor of its founder. It specialized in alcoholism, drug dependency, and adolescent programs. Ruth Edwards of the CLEVELAND INSTITUTE OF MUSIC pioneered musical therapy for patients. Woodruff also maintained an Eldercare Center in Chardon, OH, at 11635 Sherman Rd. In 1986 Woodruff Hospital closed, and its programs were transferred to ST. VINCENT CHARITY HOSPITAL & HEALTH CENTER. The building and land were sold to the CLEVELAND CLINIC FOUNDATION.
See also MEDICINE; HOSPITALS AND HEALTH PLANNING.