Review the procedures below to apply for student loans listed on your financial aid award. If you have any questions regarding the application process, please feel free to contact the Office of External Loans at 216.368.6531 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Federal Direct Loans
- Log in to studentloans.gov using your FSA ID. (If you have difficulty with the studentloans.gov website, please contact the Department of Education's Student Loan Help Center at 800.557.7394.)
- Complete Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)" and choose “MPN for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans.
- If you have not done so for Case Western Reserve University in the past, complete entrance counseling by clicking “Complete Loan Counseling (Entrance, Financial Awareness, Exit)” and choosing “Entrance Counseling”. You will then choose if you are a graduate or undergraduate student.
- CWRU will receive confirmation of your submitted documents within 48 hours.
Federal PLUS Loan
- Log into studentloans.gov using your FSA ID. (If you have difficulty with the studentloans.gov website, please contact the Department of Education's Student Loan Help Center at 800.557.7394).
- Click on “Apply for a Direct PLUS Loan” and complete the appropriate application (Graduate or Parent)..
- Click on "Complete Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)" and choose the appropriate promissory note (“for Parents” or “for Graduate/Professional Students”)
- Graduate students are also required to complete entrance counseling by clicking “Complete Loan Counseling (Entrance, Financial Awareness, Exit)” and choosing “Entrance Counseling” if they have not already completed this for Case Western Reserve University.
If you are denied for the PLUS, and you plan to use an endorser for your loan, there will be 2 additional steps emailed to you immediately by the Department of Education. First, you will be required to complete an additional counseling by clicking on“Complete PLUS Credit Counseling.” Second you will be required to have your endorser complete an endorser addendum using the reference number provided by the Department of Education.
Undergraduate students may receive additional unsubsidized loans if a parent is denied the Federal PLUS Loan. Please email email@example.com or call 216.368.6153 to determine your eligibility.
Case Western Reserve University Loan
- You will receive an e-mail from ECSI when you have a university or Perkins loan that is ready to be signed.
- Go to heartlandecsi.com and follow the instructions under borrower/student login to complete entrance counseling and sign your Master Promissory Note.
- View and compare lender benefits and services through the FASTChoice Lender List.
- Choose a lender, click "apply" and complete the application.
- The Office of External Loans will certify your loan after we receive confirmation that the entire loan procedure has been completed.
Please note: Disbursement of private loans averages 3 to 4 weeks. Please apply early if you are borrowing a private loan.
If you choose a lender not on the CWRU preferred lender list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.