School of Graduate Studies Advisor Newsletter

Upcoming Deadlines

Drop/Add Period

The Drop/Add Period ends on Friday, September 3 and students must complete any and all changes to their schedule of classes by this time. The student will not be able to register if they have a hold on their account in SIS. Our July newsletter has information on how to remove registration holds.

Also add: holds in SIS/when students can register

Waiver of Registration

Students who missed the summer semester's deadline to apply to graduate but have since completed all graduation requirements may be eligible to waive class registration for the fall. Students applying for the waiver must:

The waiver of registration deadline is Friday, September 3, Once completed and signed the should should email the form to

Waiver for Medical and Fitness Plans 

Every graduate student is automatically enrolled in the Student Medical Plan and the One-to-One Fitness Plan at the beginning of the fall semester. If the student already has comparable health insurance, the student can waive the Student Medical Plan before the end of the drop/add period on Friday, September 3 to avoid being charged. If the student is not interested in remaining a member of One-to-One Fitness for the semester they can also waive this plan by September 3. If students have waived either plan in previous academic years, they must again waive these plans if they do not intend to participate during the Fall 2021 semester. For those students staying on the Student Medical Plan, the coverage year began August 1.

Important Policies

Term Withdrawals

From All Courses

Only completing a term withdrawal for the semester entitles a student to a percentage refund of the withdrawn courses after the second week of classes. Failure to attend class or merely giving notice to the instructor will not be regarded as official notice of withdrawal or change. Such an unofficial withdrawal normally will result in the student being assigned the grade of F. 

From The University

To withdraw from the university during a semester or session, a student must send written notice to their program and to Graduate Studies. Grade of WD will be assigned in all courses in which a student is registered at the time of withdrawal, provided that a student follows the procedures stated above. Failure to attend classes or notification of instructors only does not constitute withdrawal from the university. A student who ceases to attend or otherwise participate in courses without officially withdrawing will be assigned the grade of F for each course in which they are enrolled. 

Students must maintain continuous registration in the fall and spring semesters throughout their degree programs unless granted an official leave of absence. Students who fail to register for any academic term will be withdrawn from their programs. Students who are withdrawn from their programs must petition for reinstatement in order to continue graduate study. The petition must be approved by both the student’s department and the School of Graduate Studies before the student may register for further course work as a student in full standing. If more than 24 months have elapsed since the last registration, students may have to resubmit Admissions materials if requested by the program or the School of Graduate Studies.

Advanced Standing

--advanced standing

Academic Requirements Report

--academic requirements report

Transfer of Credit

--transfer of credit

Admission Language Requirements for International Applicants

*Note that the School of Graduate Studies does not offer conditional admission without official language scores meeting the minimum requirements outlined below. 

Minimum scores (all of these scores are valid for 2 years from the date of testing):

* Note: The following departments require higher language scores: Art History, Art History & Museum Studies, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry Entrepreneurship, Master of Engineering and Management (MEM), and Pathology. Those higher scores are 100 on the TOEFL, 7.0 on the IELTS, and 68 on the PTE Academic.

* The School of Graduate Studies does not accept the DuoLingo exam, TOEFL Essentials exam, or TOEFL MyBest Scores. Applicants must achieve a minimum of 90 on one exam date; exams will not be superscored.  

* The language test requirement will be waived if you have completed a bachelors or masters degree from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction. See FAQ section below for more information. There are no language score waivers for MEM, Organizational Behavior or Pathology.

Reviewing Planed Programs of Study (PPOS)

-Reviewing PPOS

--other important policies

Graduation Info

--graduation info

Travel Funding Available for Students

We encourage you to let your students know about these opportunities for travel funding!

If a student in a program under the School of Graduate Studies is presenting their research at an upcoming conference, they may apply for one of our two travel awards:

  • The Graduate Student Travel Award (GSTA) - The School of Graduate Studies will match funding pledged by the student's department up to $500 for domestic travel and up to $1000 for international.
  • The Verhosek Fund (V-Fund) - The School of Graduate Studies will award up to $250 to award recipients but it does not require matching funds from the student's department.

Both the GSTA and the V-Fund can only be awarded once each during the student's graduate career at the university. The student must be presenting, not just attending. Funding is limited and available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Student ID Cards

New students and continuing students who are new to campus will need to visit Access Services in the lower level of Crawford Hall to retrieve their student ID cards. The School of Graduate Studies does not hold on to any new student ID cards past the first week of fall semester classes.

Advanced Professional Development for University Teaching

Advanced Professional Development for University Teaching (UNIV401) is intended to provide students, post-docs, and research scholars with the chance to learn innovative, effective, and evidence-based teaching strategies that are useful in University classrooms.

Forms for Graduate Students

All forms for graduate students are available on the School of Graduate Studies website. Most are available on this page though some are found on specific other pages. Many of the forms will require information or signatures from the student's faculty advisor, instructor, or department chair. All forms are .PDF that can be downloaded, electronically completed and signed and returned to Grad Studies by emailing Forms can also be printed and completed paper copies returned to our office in Tomlinson 203 during normal business hours.

Slate Training and Resources

--Slate training opportunities when they arise and Slate resources




commencement/grad awards (including nominations info)

spoken English language workshops with Elise
introductions/contact info for various people in our office
professional development
post docs
The importance of keeping in contact with department coordinators