Admission Standards

Full Standing

To be admitted to full standing, an applicant must meet all the criteria without conditions or academic provisions:

  • Applicants must have a good academic record, e.g., a B-average or rank in the upper third of his or her graduating class at an institution whose status and programs are readily assessed.
  • Applicants must meet all of the undergraduate prerequisites for the proposed field of graduate study.

In addition to official transcripts, degree verification, letters of recommendation and TOEFL or IELTS exams (English proficiency tests for international students only), some departments require the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). 

Ordinarily a bachelor's degree is required for unconditional admission to the graduate school. Under some circumstances, an admissions committee may recommend admission to the School of Graduate Studies on the basis of an equivalent experience. In this case, the dean of graduate studies gives final approval.

Provisional Standing

Applicants who have academic deficiencies and do not qualify for admission with full standing may be admitted provisionally. A student must show enough evidence of ability in their chosen field to warrant provisional admission.

Provisions will be specified by the department to which the student is admitted, and stated in the official letter of admission from the dean of graduate studies. A provisional graduate student is expected to complete appropriate course work and to meet the performance standards of the School of Graduate Studies within the first academic year of study.

The provisional student's record will be reviewed each semester, and the student's status will be reconsidered by the department no later than at the end of two semesters of study. If the student has satisfied the provisions associated with his or her admission, the student will be given full standing; otherwise, they will be separated from further graduate study in that department.

Conditional Standing

Applicants who have missing documentation in their admissions file (such as an official academic transcript with their degree posted or official copies of test scores) may be admitted conditionally. The conditions specified in the letter of acceptance must be satisfied prior to matriculation in the School of Graduate Studies. Students will be unable to register for courses until all of their conditions have been satisfied. 

You can view which documents are missing by logging back into the online application system and viewing your admission letter. To send official test score results, use the institutional code of 1105 for Case Western Reserve University. 

Official electronic transcripts can be sent to PDFs sent by email are not considered official and cannot be used for verification purposes. Official transcripts must come directly from the institution either mailed in a sealed envelope to the address below or sent electronically. International Students - Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified translations in English. 

Official hard copy transcripts can be sent by mail to:

Case Western Reserve University
School of Graduate Studies - Tomlinson 203
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44106

Postponement of Matriculation (Deferral)

Applicants are guaranteed admission only for the term specified in their admission letter. If unable to enroll then, they may request postponement up to two regular semesters. The department may accept or reject that postponement request.

Terms of readmission may differ from the original offer. If entry is delayed more than two semesters, the applicant's file must be reviewed and reevaluated. If entry is delayed more than two years, the applicant must reapply. Then, because files are kept for a maximum of two years, all new documentation must be resubmitted.

If you would like to defer your enrollment, please email to request the deferment. We will verify with your department if they approve or deny the deferment and we will update your file accordingly.