Title: Annual Performance Review Process
Effective Date: 06/03/2019
Responsible Official: Vice President for Human Resources
Responsible University Office:
Revision History: 01/01/1995; 01/01/2002
Related Legislation and University policies: Annual Performance Review Process Procedure; Positive Corrective Action
Review Period: 5 years
Date of Last Review:
Relates to: senior staff and staff
Exclusions: executive staff
The university acknowledges that all employees benefit from on-going communication with their supervisors on goals, expectations, skills, and performance. The intent of this policy is to ensure that a formal process occurs in addition to the encouraged informal feedback during the year. This more formal process, entitled Annual Review, is designed to achieve the following goals:
- To link the work of the employee to the work of the group and the department
- To set objectives so that expectations are clear
- To review the objectives mid-year for updates, assistance, and recognition
- To reinforce positive work habits and ethics
- To offer the employee information regarding professional development
In addition to these outcomes, the supervisor will benefit from more frequent information conversations and feedback by:
- Obtaining suggestions from the employee on operational and functional enhancements
- Having the opportunity to guide employees through development that improves and enriches the productivity of the group
- Improving the likelihood of success for employees who participate in their own development and work objectives
The HR Records Office will: (1) remind supervisors of the annual review dates; and (2) provide the Annual Review Forms. These forms can also be found online at the HR Forms page under Employee Evaluation and Development at https://case.edu/hr/forms.
The supervisor is responsible for
- Setting objectives early in the performance year;
- Reviewing objectives and performance standards throughout the year, including completing the recommended mid-year documentation;
- Finalizing the employee's performance documentation over the twelve (12) month period;
- Conducting the Annual Review session in private with the employee; and
- Submitting the Annual Review documentation to the HR Records Office at email@example.com at least fifteen (15) days prior to the effective date of any compensation request.
Timely performance updates and related salary actions are one of the supervisor's most important responsibilities.
In the event that an employee is internally transferring, the prior department should provide feedback on the employee’s performance during that review period to date. If the employee’s performance is satisfactory at the time of the transfer, an email to that effect is sufficient. If the employee’s performance is not satisfactory, the department should provide specific feedback. It is recommended that the releasing department complete the Annual Review outline for the partial year for the new supervisor to incorporate. The current supervisor will be responsible for establishing new objectives and conducting employee’s Annual Review meeting, incorporating the prior department’s feedback in a proportional manner.
If an employee has already been issued Positive Corrective Action when the Annual Review would normally occur, it is appropriate to integrate the corrective action with the Annual Review.
If the supervisor determines that an employee’s performance or behavior warrants Positive Corrective Action while completing the Annual Review, the supervisor should contact Employee Relations to begin that process. The supervisor does not need to wait until the PCA is completed before finalizing and issuing the Annual Performance Review.