Case Western Reserve has adopted a new staff hybrid work policy with a goal of maintaining the vibrancy of our residential campus while also providing flexibility for remote work.
This page includes guidance for staff and supervisors who wish to propose a staff hybrid work arrangement that would commence Monday, Jan. 10, 2022—the start of the spring semester.
Staff who wish to participate in hybrid work arrangements also must attend a recorded online training.
If you have additional questions after reading the framework and attending an information session, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Hybrid work arrangements must be mutually beneficial—that is, they should:
- advance the institution’s excellence
- contribute to the unit’s purpose and responsibilities
- provide staff opportunities to conduct duties off campus so long as they meet performance expectations
Exempt and non-exempt staff members may participate in remote work if they have:
- duties that can be completed successfully without being on campus full-time*
- no Positive Corrective Action (PCA) measures in effect
- performance ratings of at least “meets expectations” on their most recent evaluations**
*Employees whose duties prevent off-campus work are eligible for up to three flexible days off per year (which may be taken in half-day increments) with the supervisors’ advance approval. These employees also are eligible for opportunities for flexibility at the discretion of their supervisors (such as four 10-hour days per week, seasonal schedules, etc.).
**If an employee goes into PCA or receives an evaluation with a lower rating, the remote work opportunity for that employee will end, until the supervisor—in consultation with Human Resources—confirms that the issue is resolved.
Supervisors who wish to propose a hybrid work arrangement should:
- carefully assess the unit’s duties and identify which among them may be successfully completed off campus (and by whom)
- determine what university equipment respective staff members need to work effectively off campus
- evaluate opportunities to enhance the unit’s service—for example, by extending the unit’s operating hours by staggering daily schedules
- develop consistent weekly schedules for staff members’ in-person and remote days that ensure:
- consistent levels of in-person service throughout the work week
- equitable distribution of on- and off-campus schedules among staff
- no individual staff member has more than two off-campus workdays per week*
*If circumstances exist that merit more than two remote workdays per week, the supervisor should explain those circumstances as part of an exception request included in the hybrid work proposal.
- Staff whose roles require full-time campus presence are eligible for up to three ‘flexible days’ that they make take off from work with their supervisor’s approval
- Non-exempt employees may not work overtime without their supervisors’ prior written consent
- The nature of employment (compensation, benefits, at-will status) for all staff remains the same in the hybrid work arrangement
- Equipment that the university provides, whether used on or off campus, remains the property of the university and must be returned upon the university’s notice and/or the end of the staff member’s employment
- Data security and confidentiality must be maintained regardless of work location; supervisors should contact the office of compliance and/or [U]Tech with questions
- Safety of a remote work area is the responsibility of the staff member; staff injured performing remote work must notify the Office of Risk Management within 24 hours of the incident.
Read Prior to Completing Forms
- Supervisor Hybrid Work Proposal Form
- Staff Schedule Spreadsheet to be submitted with proposal
- Staff Member Hybrid Work Form to be provided to the supervisor after the overall proposal is approved
Supervisor Proposal Submission
• Download and complete required forms
• Secure necessary signature(s)
• Put all documents in a single folder with the department or unit name as its title
• Email the folder to Hybrid_.email@example.com