Policy no. II-10
Effective Date: 01/01/2008
Scope: All full and part-time senior staff and staff employees
Exclusions: faculty, executive staff, and student employees
All full and part-time senior staff and staff employees new to a position (e.g., newly hired or acquired through internal transfer or promotion) will work through an Employment Orientation Period for the first 3 months. The purpose of the employment orientation period is to:
- Ensure that the position remains as described during the interview process;
- Confirm that the employee demonstrates the skills to be successful in the position;
- Provide a period of adjustment to the University community;
- Conduct orientations and training as required;
- Communicate Case Western Reserve University employment expectations and standards of excellence;
- Provide an opportunity for the employee to review and commit to these standards.
The supervisor is responsible for initiating the process by completing the Staff Orientation Period form located in the forms section on the Human Resources web site.
Midway and at the end of the Employment Orientation Period, the supervisor will conduct progress evaluations and recommend one of three courses of action in writing:
- Employment will continue
- The orientation period will be extended subject to review of specific performance improvements
- Employment will be severed because
- the employee is not satisfied or
- the employee is not likely to be successful in the position.
Decisions to extend the orientation period should be made in consultation with the Employee Relations Office. At any point in time during this period, the supervisor has the authority to terminate employment for unsatisfactory performance in consultation with the Employee Relations Office.
Policy Administration: Supervisor, Employment office, and Employee Relations Office.
References: Employment Orientation Period Procedure (II-10a)