Procedure no. II-13a
Effective Date: 07/01/2009
Related Policy: II-13
To ensure consistent payroll processing of holiday pay.
For Staff: Supervisor
Department Chair and/or Dean
1. The supervisor is responsible for understanding the pay policies with regard to holidays and other university closings.
2. In the event that the national holiday falls on a day different than the day Case Western Reserve University observes the holiday, then the day that the university is closed to observe the holiday is the day recognized as the "paid holiday" for payroll calculation purposes.
3. Normally the university does not close other than for holidays. Employees should assume that in cases of inclement weather or other unusual circumstances, they are required to come to work unless a state of emergency in the University Circle area has been declared. See Emergency Preparedness and Workforce Coverage Policy II-18.
4. Full time and part time employees will receive their normal pay if the holiday falls on their regularly-scheduled work day.
5. Unless exceptions are announced, the pay practices for Holiday paid time off, shown below, will apply.
6. When a nonexempt full-time or part-time employee works on the holiday, the employee may be paid in accordance with University Closings for Holidays and Other Events Policy II-13. Generally the non-exempt employee will be paid for the holiday plus time and one-half for the hours worked on the holiday.
7. When an exempt employee is required to work on the holiday, the exempt employee may schedule another day off with pay in the preceding or following two week period.
8. Employees who have successfully completed their orientation period may take one (1) personal floating holiday each fiscal year. Supervisory approval must be obtained in advance. In order to accurately track the time away from the office, employees must select the FHL code in PeopleSoft HCM exception timesheet.
Holiday Pay Schedule
|Full-time Employee||Part-time Employee||Temporary Employee|
|If holiday is Monday- Friday and work day is Monday- Friday||Paid time off for holiday||Paid time off if on normal work day||No paid time off|
|If holiday is Saturday or Sunday and observed on Friday or Monday and work day is Monday- Friday||Paid time off for observed day||Paid time off is Monday or Friday is normal work day||No paid time off|
|If holiday is Saturday observed on Friday and work day is Friday and Saturday.||Paid time off applied to Friday, the observed day but may request holiday off||Paid time off for Friday, Saturday will remain a work day but may request day off||May have Friday off with no pay, Saturday will be a work day but may request day off|
|If holiday is Sunday observed on Monday and work day is Sunday and Monday||Paid time off applied to Monday, the observed day but may request the holiday off||Paid time off for Monday, Sunday will remain a work day but may request day off||May have Monday off with no pay, Sunday will be a work day but may request day off|
|If holiday is observed Monday- Friday and work day is not on the observed day||A paid day off either two weeks before or after observed holiday||No paid time off||No paid time off|