Issue Date: 06/03/2019
Related Policy: Internal Employment Promotional Opportunities
Revision History: 01/01/1995; 01/01/2002; 12/1/2009
To provide employees and supervisors with the details of the Internal Employment Opportunity Policy.
Staff employees who consider applying for other positions within the university should first review these procedures for the opportunities and challenges available to them.
Employees are eligible to apply for a posted position if:
- their most recent Annual Performance Review is Average or better;
- they have been in their current position for twelve (12) months or more (six (6) months if the position is within the same department);
- they meet the qualifications that are listed in the postings;
- they apply online in a timely manner;
- they have not received a written warning Positive Corrective Action within the past twelve (12) months.
Exceptions to Transfer**
- Employees who do not meet the eligibility requirements may only pursue an internal employment opportunity if they receive an Exception to Transfer. Exceptions to Transfer will only be granted in extenuating circumstances exist.
- Such employees must complete the Exception to Transfer Form and submit to the Director of Employee Relations at AskHR@case.edu.
- Employees who have been suspended within the last twelve (12) months are not eligible for an exception to transfer.
- Employees who have not been with the university for twelve (12) months are not eligible for an exception to transfer, unless their position is being eliminated in a reduction in force, or they are seeking to move from a full-time to a part-time position or vice versa.
- Employees may only request one (1) exception to transfer within a three (3) year period, unless their position is being eliminated in a reduction in force or they are seeking to move from a full-time to a part-time position or vice versa.
* Employees who have been employed by the university for at least a year but do not meet the above eligibility requirements (i.e. their or they have not been in their current job for twelve (12) months, or they are in Positive Corrective Action) may seek an exception to allow them to pursue internal employment opportunities. They must complete an Exception to Transfer Form and submit it to Employee Relations at AskHR@case.edu. The Director of Employee Relations will make the decision to allow an employee who does not meet the requirements to pursue other employment opportunities. The Director may review prior reviews and/or speak to the current or former supervisor. The final decision for an Exception to Transfer is not subject to an appeal. Employees who have not been employed by the university for at least one year are not eligible to transfer.
- Employees may apply by submitting the completed online application in PeopleSoft HCM system.
- An Employment Specialist will review the application and confirm the employee meets the educational, skills, and job experience and other eligibility criteria required for the posted position.
- Employees may submit a minimum salary as part of their application. However, the final salary determination will be based on the department’s budget, university equity, and individual qualifications, and may be more or less than the minimum salary.
- Qualified candidates will be referred to the Hiring Supervisor for an initial interview.
- After the initial interview, candidates must determine if they continue to be interested in the position.
- The Employment Specialist will notify interviewed candidates if they continue to be candidates for consideration. If they are, subsequent interviewing may occur. At that time, they must notify their current supervisor they are a finalist for another position.
- Qualified internal candidates should understand that other interviewing of internal and external candidates may occur while they are under consideration for the position.
Candidates who do not have the qualifications
- Candidates who are not eligible for an interview will be contacted by the Employment Specialist. Employees may schedule a meeting with the Employment Specialist to review the resume and discuss interviewing skills.
- Interviewed candidates who are selected must give their current supervisor at least two (2) weeks’ notice of transfer.
- Selected candidates must work with the Employment Office and acquiring department to satisfy any position requirements that are essential to beginning the new job.
- The releasing supervisor must complete the Annual Performance Review and provide it to the new supervisor.
- Selected candidates will begin their new position in a three (3) month orientation period. In the event the selected candidate is not successful during the orientation period, the employee may:
- Apply for another position through the posting system;
- Apply for their former position, if the position is available.
Candidates Who Are Not Selected
- Interviewed candidates who are not selected may request a meeting with the Employment Specialist to discuss resume preparation and interviewing skills.