Terms and Program Types

Want to study abroad, but unsure where to go, with whom to travel or how long to spend? Case Western Reserve University offers a variety of options to meet students’ varying needs.

Once you determine the length and style of program for which you’re looking, start your search.

Long-Term Study Abroad

In fall, spring, academic year and calendar year options, students spend a full semester(s) at any one of CWRU’s 75+ study abroad partner institutions (commonly called “long term study abroad”).

  • Register for a full course load overseas and transfer courses back to CWRU
  • Participants pay tuition to CWRU but pay room, board, and any fees to the overseas institution

Short-Term/Faculty-Led Study Abroad

Winter break, spring break, spring (May Abroad), May term, summer I and summer II programs are study abroad options that are part of a three-credit-hour CWRU course (commonly called “short-term” or “faculty led”).

  • Register for one CWRU course that goes abroad, usually with the faculty leader
  • Pay tuition and a program fee to CWRU. Program fees and what they cover vary by program.
  • You can find all of these under the “Featured Programs” tab on the Program Search engine

Summer Study Abroad

Summer study abroad is directly enrolling in summer courses at any of CWRU’s partner institutions.

  • Register for at least one course at an overseas institution and transfer it back to CWRU
  • Students pay tuition, room and board, and fees to the overseas institution

Research/Internship/Co-op Abroad

Looking to conduct research or gain valuable work experience overseas? There are many opportunities available.

  • Available at many semester/year study abroad institutions and searchable as a field of study under “Courses Offered.” Find a program.
  • Stand-alone opportunities are facilitated by the Office of Education Abroad and the relevant CWRU department (e.g. the Career Center, SOURCE, Co-op Office)
  • International travel registration is required for all international experiences and ensures students have CWRU’s free international medical and emergency insurance while abroad.

Independent Academic Travel

Students who find other opportunities abroad via a CWRU source (a faculty research connection, an externship advertised via a CWRU channel or community member, a clinical rotation or elective abroad, etc.) must--by CWRU policy--register this non-credit travel in the Independent Academic Travel system of the Center for International Affairs. Registration will give students access to CWRU's free international travel and emergency health insurance. Students who believe they should register their travel must email Alec Jokubaitis to check this need and for the link to register at least one month in advance of their departure. 

Find out more about financing a study abroad program