Case Western Reserve University’s policies and requirements for study abroad course transfer are outlined below and in a signature document which students receive and sign once they are accepted into a study abroad program.
For Students Participating in Semester/Academic Year Programs:
- I understand that the only way to guarantee a course from an overseas institution will transfer back to CWRU is to complete and turn in the Course Approval Form to the Office of Education Abroad before I leave for my study abroad program.
- I understand that credits from abroad undergo a conversion before they are transferred to CWRU and that the overseas course may transfer back as more or less credits than its CWRU equivalent. It is my responsibility to refer to my program's application page for this information and to make sure I understand it.
- I understand that if I take course(s) that are not on the Course Approval Form, they are subject to review by the corresponding department's academic representative(s), which may result in courses not being transferred.
- I understand that I need to get a grade of C or better in order for the courses to be transferred.
- I understand that all courses taken abroad will be transfer credit, which does not factor into my CWRU GPA.
- I understand that if I am studying in a single location where English is not an official language for at least a semester, I must take a course that advances my skills in a language of the host country during each semester of study abroad, provided such courses are available; this may be a course of language instruction or a course taught in a language of the host country. (Note: This requirement does not apply to summer study abroad programs.)
- I understand that I need to stay in good academic standing and full time student status while studying abroad. I affirm that I am currently in good academic standing. I understand that if I fall out of good academic standing between my acceptance and the beginning of my study abroad program, I will be ineligible for study abroad.
- If I study abroad during my senior year, I understand that I must meet the senior residency requirement in order for my courses to transfer back to CWRU. I must check this requirement with Undergraduate Studies before studying abroad.
- I will request that my transcript(s) be sent to the Office of Education Abroad after my study abroad program.
- I understand that credits earned abroad will not be processed by the Office of Education Abroad until the office has received my transcript(s) from abroad and that this process may take a few months.
- I understand that I can receive no more than 38 hours of transfer credit after matriculation.
- I understand that at least half of the coursework I complete for my major or minor must be completed at CWRU.
Additional or Different Policies for Students Participating in Summer Programs:
- I understand that my summer study abroad program must be at least three weeks long.
- I understand that I can receive no more than a total of 15 hours of transfer credit from summer study in the United States or my home country.
- The language requirement does not apply to summer programs.