Case Western Reserve University’s policy for study abroad programs in outlined in the Course Approval Form, which students receive once they are accepted into a study abroad program.
The policy is also outlined here:
For Students Participating in Semester/Academic Year Programs:
- I understand that the only way to guarantee a course from an overseas institution will transfer back to CWRU is to complete and turn in this form to the Office of Education Abroad before I leave for my study abroad program.
- I understand that I need to get a grade of C or better in order for the courses to be transferred.
- I understand that if I take course(s) that are not on the Course Approval Form, they are subject to review by the corresponding department chair(s) or representative(s), which may result in courses not being transferred.
- I understand that all courses taken abroad will be transfer credit, which does not figure into my CWRU GPA.
- I understand that if I am studying in a single location where English is not an official language for at least a semester, I must take a course that advances my skills in a language of the host country during each semester of study abroad, provided such courses are available; this may be a course of language instruction or a course taught in a language of the host country. (Note: This requirement does not apply to summer study abroad programs.)
- I understand that I need to stay in good academic standing and full time student status while studying abroad. I affirm that I am currently in good academic standing. I understand that if I fall out of good academic standing between now and the beginning of my study abroad program, I will be ineligible for study abroad.
- If I study abroad during my senior year, I understand that I must meet the senior residency requirement in order for my courses to transfer back to CWRU. I must check this requirement with my dean before studying abroad.
- I will request that my transcript(s) be sent to the Office of Education Abroad after my study abroad program.
- I understand that credits earned abroad will not be processed by the Office of Education Abroad until the office has received the student’s transcript(s) from abroad.
- I understand that I can receive no more than 38 hours of transfer credit after matriculation.
- I understand that at least half of the coursework I complete for my major or minor must be completed at CWRU
Additional or Different Policies for Students Participating in Summer Programs:
- I understand that my summer study abroad program must be at least three weeks long.
- I understand that I can receive no more than a total of 15 hours of transfer credit from summer study in the United States or my home country.
- The language requirement does not apply to summer programs.