Frequently Asked Questions

Important Dates

 Deadline for Fall 2018 Applications to Degree Programs

Spring 2018 
 Modules 1 and 2 Begin

Summer 2018 
 Modules 1 and 2 Begin

More Information

Learn more about the Academic English Proficiency Program and speak to someone from the Center for International Affairs.


Do you have questions about the AEP Program? If so, check our Frequently Asked Questions below. If you have any other questions or would like more information, please reach out to

What is the standardized English test score requirement for full admission to CWRU?

For full admission, CWRU requires a TOEFL score of 90.

How do I know if I am eligible for the AEP Program?

You are eligible for admission to the AEP Program if you have a TOEFL score between 75-89 and meet all academic requirements for admission into a CWRU graduate program.

What does provisional admission mean?

Provisional admission to a participating degree program means that students meet the academic requirements for their chosen field of study but do not have the necessary TOEFL score for full admission. Students will have up to two semesters to meet the language proficiency requirement necessary to gain full admission to their CWRU graduate program.

How much does the program cost?

Students will pay CWRU tuition. Students are required to take 9 credit hours per module, and either one or two modules, depending on the students’ level when they enter the program. More information about the cost of CWRU programs is available here.

Will CWRU help me get visa status?

Yes, CWRU will help guide you through all the necessary steps to secure a visa to attend classes in the United States. Most of our students attend on an F-1 student visa, though some will also use a J-1 student visa. Once you are officially accepted into the program, the staff of International Student Services will begin the process of helping you with your visa documentation. For a detailed look at the process of securing your student visa, you can visit the Before Arrival section of the International Student Services website.

While enrolled in the AEP program, can I use university facilities, such as the recreation center and library?

Of course! As a student enrolled in the AEP program, you will be a graduate student at CWRU and will receive a CWRU ID card that gives you access to the libraries, student centers, recreation facilities, and campus buildings. You will take your classes on the main campus, central to everything the university has to offer!

Where will I live while enrolled in the AEP Program?

There are many options available to students looking to live near campus. Read more information about housing options available to graduate students.

Where can I find more information about Case Western Reserve University and campus life?

There’s a lot to learn about Case Western Reserve University, Ohio’s top-ranked university and one of the top research institutions in the United States. Learn more about CWRU.

Where can I find more information about living in Cleveland?

Cleveland is a great city with many unique neighborhoods to explore. More information about living in Cleveland is available on the International Student Services website.

I have additional questions. Can I schedule a time to talk to someone about the AEP Program?

Of course! Please send an email to to schedule a time to speak with one of our program representatives.