All campus libraries are closed until further notice. No visitors will be permitted to enter the building.
Services and Resources
All borrowing of physical materials (e.g., books) is suspended.
- The library will waive any overdue fines for books and other library materials previously checked out that could not be returned by the due date, including overdue materials on loan from other libraries.
All books and materials with due dates starting March 6 and April 19 will be automatically renewed to September 1. Renewals will be extended and repeated as necessary.
- Recalling items through the catalog has been disabled.
- The Libraries have suspended the borrowing of physical materials, circulation rules, fines, renewals, etc. until further notice.
- UPDATE 3/23/2020: Research Support: Our vendors and publishers are providing temporary access to online resources since print content is no longer accessible. Please go to the Research Guide for specific information.
- The CWRU Libraries' Discovery search engine on the library’s main web page searches almost all library resources and results can be filtered to show only full-text online resources.
- All online journals and databases are fully available to the entire campus community.
- E-books continue to be accessible through the library catalog, and millions of eBooks are available to CWRU users through the HathiTrust Digital Library, the Internet Archive's Open Library, and the popular reading collections of the Cleveland Public Library and Cuyahoga County Public Library.
- Other streaming and electronic materials remain available as usual.
- Most electronic resources are accessible through CWRU Single Sign-on, but some will still require VPN access. Please contact us with any e-resource questions about access or issues.
- OhioLINK and interlibrary loan requests for physical materials are suspended until further notice. We will continue to review and assess option.
- All borrowing of physical items (e.g., books) via OhioLINK and interlibrary loan is suspended until further notice. We will attempt to fulfill requests for articles or chapters that can be delivered directly to you electronically, but since many other university libraries in Ohio and the country are closed, we cannot guarantee when these requests might be filled.
Research and Digital Scholarship Services
- UPDATE 3/25/2020: Online Research Assistance Hours have been extended as follows: Monday-Thursday, 9am-8pm; Friday, 9am-5pm; Saturday & Sunday, 2-5pm.
- UPDATE 3/24/2020: To request an appointment with a research services librarian, please complete this form.
- UPDATE 3/24/2020: A guide has been created to assist with using KSL's online collections and resources. It consists of text-based instructions, quick videos and interactive tutorials on how to search library collections, as well as guidance for students on how to organize projects and papers using library resources.
- General research assistance and research consultations continue to be available for you to chat with a librarian or submit a question electronically.
- First year undergraduates should contact their personal librarians, who are assigned based upon their residence hall.
- Faculty, graduate and professional students, and upper level students should contact their subject area librarians for remote consultations.
- For digital scholarship assistance, consultation, and scheduling online appointments, please contact the Freedman Center for Digital Scholarship experts.
Special Collections and Archives
- The Special Collections and Archives are closed until classes resume.
- Researchers with existing travel plans should reschedule their visit.
- A large number of special collection and archives materials are available in digital form, e.g.,
- For additional questions about Special Collections and Archives, please consult our website.
Library Events and Room Reservations
- All library events through the end of the Spring semester have been cancelled.
- All room reservations for classes, have been cancelled through the end of the Spring semester.
Contact Links for Additional Help
- General questions or if you're unsure whom to ask.
- Music research, music formats (such as scores and streaming audio), etc.
- Copyright, fair use, and other legal questions related to online coursework.
- Digital scholarship, data, data visualization, digital mapping, and data management.
- Law Library Services during Covid-19
- Cleveland Health Sciences Library Services during Covid-19