Oaxaca has become a “hot spot” for culinary travel, yet its foods are ancestral. From native corn, to the land of mole, and tequila’s smoky cousin, mezcal, Oaxaca is a place to savor with all the senses. This culinary journey will take travelers on a veritable historic journey, beginning with the ancestral foods that gave rise to the great Zapotec Civilization, the sustenance of Mexico today, and will also showcase chefs who are introducing contemporary expressions of these heritage foods. Communities, restaurants, chefs, farmers, mezcal producers, all figure prominently on this journey! Join fellow alumni travelers on an exploration of Oaxaca, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Mexico’s most beautiful colonial cities. Located southeast of Mexico City and surrounded by the majestic Sierra Madre mountains, Oaxaca has a rich artistic legacy that stretches back for centuries.
• Visit the Museum of Oaxacan Cultures, the Church of Santo Domingo, and walk the green quarry stone streets that connect the Santo Domingo cultural complex to the Zocalo and Main Cathedral.
• Travel to the village of Tlacolula and the tapestry weaving community of Teotitlan del Valle.
• Cooking classes cooking class, where you’ll be led in the instruction of the prep and cooking of some of Oaxaca’s favorites, including a couple of different mole sauces, fresh salsas, hand-made tortillas, fresh fruit “waters."
• Airport Transfers included.
• 6 Nights 4/5 Star Hotel.
• All breakfasts (6), All lunches (5), Dinners (2).
• Tips: Driver/Guide/Hotel Porter/Chambermaids.
PRICE: $2,699, per person, based on double occupancy. $475 single supplement.
LUMINARY SOCIETY MEMBERS: Those who have participated in Planned Giving with CWRU are eligible to receive discounts on CWRU Educational Travel programs. For more information about the Luminary Society, contact Charles M. Miller, JD, AEP®, Senior Director of Planned Giving at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 216.368.8640.
For more information about this trip, please contact Sarah Doody at 904.432.3141.