Episode 000: Welcome!
April 20, 2019
Episode 1: Medical School Admissions Lingo & Application Timeline (don't skip this)
April 27, 2019
- AAMC - Association of American Medical Colleges Bookmark this site now!
- MSAR - Medical School Admissions Requirements
- AMCAS - American Medical College Application Service
- MCAT - Medical College Admission Test
- Aspiring Docs - Provides resources and inspiration to help you get started on your path to medicine.
- General application timeline
- AACOM - American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
- Pathways to Medicine
Episode 2: Dr. Flavia Nobay and the University of Rochester School of Medicine; Listener Questions
May 31, 2019
Dr. Nobay is the Associate Dean of Admissions at Rochester and a physician in Emergency Medicine. Dr. Nobay hits the first full episode out of the park! We talk all about the University of Rochester with some excellent tips sprinkled throughout the interview. The show wraps up with us answering listener questions about gap years.
Dr. Nobay's Interests & Recommendations:
- How Doctors Think, Dr. Jerome Groopman
- The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy
- Unaccustomed Earth, Jhumpa Lahiri
- The Tennis Partner, Dr. Abraham Verghese
Podcasts & Blogs:
Episode 3: Dr. Joel Maurer and the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine; Listener Questions
May 31, 2019
Dr. Maurer is the Assistant Dean of Admissions at MSU CHM and an OB/GYN physician. Dr. Maurer gives us an entertaining and informative discussion about the curricular highlights at MSU and their admissions process. We conclude the show answering listener questions about activities and life experiences.
- The Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
- CASPer situational judgement test
- Multiple Mini Interviews
Episode 4: Jenn Steffen-Kimble and the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine; Listener Questions
May 31, 2019
Jenn Steffen-Kimble is the Director of Admissions at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. She brings a unique perspective to the admissions world as a former pre-health advisor at Georgia Tech and Emory University. Mrs. Steffen-Kimble gives us a comprehensive view of their admissions process and unique aspects of their curriculum. We spend the final part of the show answering listener questions about medical school interview days, what to expect, and how to prepare for them.
Episode 5: Bonus! Podcast Update & Thank You!
June 10, 2019
Episode 6: Paul White and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine; Personal Statement Tips
June 17, 2019
In this episode we have a wonderful conversation with Paul White, JD, Assistant Dean for Admissions at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Mr. White has a long career in admissions with roles in several undergraduate institutions to medical schools. Mr. White provides us with interesting insight into the JHU admissions process and highlights of the Genes to Society curriculum. Since Mr. White and I have read literally thousands of personal statements, we wrap up our conversation with some do's and don'ts of personal statements.
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Genes to Society Curriculum
- AAMC: Crafting Your Personal Statement
- Section 8 of the AMCAS Application: Essays