Norbert Avril, MD
Professor and Research Scholar, Department of Radiology, Case Western Reserve Universitynorbert.email@example.com 216.286.3210 (o)
Case Western Reserve University
University Hospitals Case Medical Center
11100 Euclid Avenue, BSH 5056
Cleveland, OH 44106
- Nuclear medicine
- Molecular imaging
Dr. Avril is an academic nuclear medicine physician with a primary research focus on developing new applications for PET in oncology. His particular interest is in new molecular imaging strategies using PET, PET/CT, and PET/MR for optimizing cancer treatments.
Dr. Avril recently joined CWRU, relocating from Barts Cancer Institute, Queen Mary College, London, UK. Over the past two years he expanded his research in the preclinical evaluation of changes in tumor glucose metabolism related to treatment effects of tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKi), particularly of axitinib in pancreatic adenocarcinoma (PDAC) and ovarian cancer.
On the clinical side, he serves as a point person for imaging collaboration, particularly including PET.
- Research Fellowship, Nuclear Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1997
- Residency, Nuclear Medicine, Technischen Universitats, München, Germany, 1995
- MD, Universitats Klinikum, Heidelberg, Germany, 1987
- CTSC Annual Pilot Awardee, 2015
- Whole-body poistron emission tomography-magnetic resonance in breast cancer. Semin Roentgenol. 2014 Oct;49(4):313-20. doi: 10.1053/j.ro.2014.08.001. Epub 2014 Aug 4.
- GPR receptor imaging of prostate cancer using [(99m)Tc]Demobesin 4: a first-in-man study.Mol Imaging Biol. 2014 Dec;16(6):888-95. doi: 10.1007/s11307-014-0754-z.
- Metabolic resonse to pegylated arginine deiminase in mesothelioma with promoter methylation of argininosuccinate synthetase. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Mar 1;31(7):e111-3. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2012.42.1784. Epub 2013 Jan 14.
- Time-of-flight PET/CT using low-activity protocols: potential implications for cancer therapy monitoring. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2010 Aug;37(9):1643-53. doi: 10.1007/s00259-010-1466-5. Epub 2010 Apr 29.