My career in basic science research began at the University of Akron, where I studied the link between stress, hypertension and cardiovascular disease. After a short stint working at a small biotech company researching the efficacy of a complement inhibitor in cardiac reperfusion injury, I returned to academia as a research assistant at CWRU. I began my tenure in the Pharmacology Department working for Dr. John Nilson, studying the role of pituitary development and tumorigenesis. I have since expanded my research focus to include breast development and cancer under the mentorship of Dr. Ruth Keri and have been a member of her lab for more than cajillion years.
Current Research Activities
- Identification of the genetic mutation underlying the nipple dysmorphia and amastia phenotype in an extended family.
- Elucidation of the transcription factors critical for stem cell properties in normal breast development and cancer.
- Determination of metastasis suppressors utilizing mouse models of breast cancer.
- 2017: Student Invited Seminar Speakers Co-chair
- 2015: Mammary Stem Cell Workshop; STEM CELL, Vancouver, California
- 2015: Great Lakes Breast Cancer Symposium
- 2014: Pharmacology Preliminary Exam I Committee
- 2010: Society for the Study of Reproduction Conference
- 2018: Outstanding Poster Presentation Award; Department of Pharmacology Annual Research Symposium
- 2018: Distinguished Trainee Poster Award; Case Comprehensive Cancer Center Annual Retreat
- 2018: Biomedical Graduate Student Organization Student of the Month
- 2017: Outstanding Poster Presentation Award; Department of Pharmacology Annual Research Symposium
- 2017: Department of Pharmacology Graduate Student Letter of Commendation
- 2017: First Place Poster Presentation Award; University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center
- 2016: Outstanding Oral Presentation Award; Department of Pharmacology Annual Research Symposium
- 2016: Outstanding Poster Presentation Award; Case Comprehensive Cancer Center Annual Retreat
- 2016: Outstanding Poster Presentation Award; Biomedical Graduate Student Symposium
- 2015: Outstanding Poster Presentation Award; Department of Pharmacology Annual Research Symposium
- 2015: Nathan S. Greenfield Family Travel Award; Department of Pharmacology
- 2002: Research Assistant of the Year; Department of Pharmacology
- Seachrist DD, Donaubauer E, Keri RA. “Hypothalamic/Pituitary/Mammary Gland (HPM) Axis” chapter: Encyclopedia of Reproduction 2018.
- Seachrist DD, Sizemore ST, Johnson E, Abdul-Karim FW, Weber Bonk KL, Keri RA. Follistatin is a metastasis suppressor in a mouse model of HER2-positive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2017. Jun 5;19(1):66.
- Sahni, JM, Gayle SS, Bonk KL, Vite LC, Yori JL, Webb B, Ramos EK, Seachrist DD, Landis MD, Chang JC, Bradner JE, Keri RA. Bromodomain and Extraterminal Protein Inhibition Blocks Growth of Triple-negative Breast Cancers through the Suppression of Aurora Kinases. J Biol Chem. 2016 Nov 4;291(45):23756-23768.
- Seachrist DD, Lozada KW, Ho SM, Prins GS, Soto AM, Walker CW, Keri RA. A Review of the Carcinogenic Potential of Bisphenol A. Reprod Toxicol. 2016 Jan;59:167-82.
- Han X, Zhang L, chung J, Pozo FM, Tran A, Seachrist D, Jacobberger JW, Keri R, Gilmore H, Zhang Y. UbcH7 regulates 53BP1 stability and DSB repair. PNAS 2014 Dec 9;111(49)17456-61.
- Sizemore GM, Sizemore ST, Seachrist DD, Keri RA. GABA(A) Receptor pi (GABRP) Stimulates Basal-like Breast Cancer Migration Through Activation of Extracellular Regulated Kinase 1/2 (ERK1/2). J Biol Chem. 2014 Aug 29;289(35):24102-13.
- Yori JL, Lozada KW, Seachrist DD, Mosley JD, Abdul-Karim FW, Booth CN, Flask CA, Keri RA. Dual Src and mTOR inhibition blocks feedback activation of AKT and induces tumor regression in preclinical models of breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2014 2014 Sep 1;74(17):4762-71.