Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
- Palliative Care
- Patient-centered Communication
- Quality of Life
- End-of-life Care
- Intraprofessional Education
- National Faculty & Advisory Committee, Improving Patient-Centered Communication and Cancer Care, (Wittenberg-Lyles & Ferrell, Co-PIs). Train oncology nurses in patient-centered communication skills. This national, two-day course will be offered twice annually for four years, offering a cohort of 100 competitively selected oncology nurses per course an opportunity to apply these skills at their own institutions and implement quality improvement changes targeting communication. National Cancer Institute, R25CA174627, 09/01/14-08/31/19. Role: Faculty.
- Site PI. Refinement and Expansion of the Palliative Care Research Cooperative (PCRC) Group (Abernethy, PI). Amplify the role of the PCRC as a national resource for efficient conduct of high quality, collaborative, multisite, palliative care and end-of-life (PCEOL) research. National Institute of Nursing Research, U24NR014637, 9/28/2013-6/30/2018.
- Co-Investigator, Randomized Trial of an HIV Navigation Program for Early Palliative Care (Slomka, PI). Test the effectiveness of early palliative care on the outcomes of quality of life, symptom assessment, coping ability, and advance care planning. National Institute of Nursing Research, NR014059, 9/30/12-7/01/15.
- Clinical Research Expert, Symptom Management and Palliative Care Research in Adults with Advanced Illness, (Daly, PI). This training program will prepare pre- and postdoctoral students with training in the content areas, sophisticated methodologies, and analytic techniques needed to prepare them to make significant contributions to this critical topic. National Institute of Nursing Research, T32NR014213, 7/1/12014-6/30/2018.
- Prince-Paul, M.J. & Kelley, C. (2017). Mindful Communication: Being Present. Seminars in Oncology Nursing , 33 (5). Pg. 475-482.+^ doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2017.09.004
- Hetland, B., Bailey, T., & Prince-Paul, M.J. (2017) Animal Assisted Interactions to Alleviate Psychological Symptoms in Patients on Mechanical Ventilation. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing , 19(2), 516-523. +^ doi: 10.1097/NJH.0000000000000401
- Prince-Paul, M.J. & DiFranco, E. (May 2017) Upstreaming and Normalizing Advance Care Planning Conversations-A Public Health Approach. Behavioral Sciences, 7(2), 18-24. +^ doi:10.3390/bs7020018
- Patrick, R., Prince-Paul, M.J., Slobodian, D., Debanne, S., & Momotaz, H. (2017). Managing hospice quality: Knowing FEHC data may improve CAHPS scores. Journal of Medical Quality , 32(6), p. 685-690.*+^ .doi: 10.1177/1062860617706739.
- Tjia J, Kutner JS, Ritchie CS, Blatchford PJ, Kendrick RB, Prince-Paul M.J., McPherson ML, Sloan JA, Somers TJ, Abernethy AP, Furuno JP. Perceptions of statin discontinuation among patients with life-limiting illness. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 20 (10), pg.1098-1103. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2016.0489 . *+^
- Slomka, J., Prince-Paul, M.J., Webel, A., & Daly, BJ. Multimorbidity with HIV: Views of Community-based people Living with HIV and Other Chronic Conditions. Journal of the Association of Nurses and AIDS Care. 28, (4), pg. 603-611. *+^ doi.org/10.1016/j.jana.2017.04.003
- Perazzo, J. D., Webel, A. R., Voss, J. G., & Prince-Paul, M.J. (2017). Fatigue Symptom Management in People Living With Human Immunodeficiency Virus. Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, 19(2), 122-127. +^ doi:10.1097/njh.0000000000000329
- Prince-Paul, Maryjo PhD, APRN, ACHPN FPCN; Peereboom, Karen MSN, CNP; Daly, Barbara J. PhD, RN, FAAN (2016). Confronting Mortality: Narratives of Military Veterans Enrolled in Home Hospice Care. Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing: June 2016 - Volume 18 - Issue 3 - p 219–226. doi: 10.1097/NJH.0000000000000250
- Slomka, J., Prince-Paul, MJ., Webel, A., & Daly, BJ. (2016). Palliative Care, Hospice, and Advance Care Planning: Views of People Living with HIV and Other Chronic Conditions. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 Jul-Aug;27(4):476-84. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2016.02.003. Epub 2016 Feb 12.
- Kutner, J. S., Blatchford, P. J., Taylor, D. H., Ritchie, C. S., Bull, J. H., Fairclough, D. L., Hanson, L. C., LeBlanc, T. W., Samsa, G., Wolf, S., Aziz, N., Currow, D., Ferrell, B., Wagner-Johnson, N., Zafar, Y., Cleary, J., Dev, S., Goode, P., Kamal, A., Kassner, C., Kvale, E., McCallum, J., Ogunseitan, A., Pantilat, S., Portenoy, R., Prince-Paul, MJ., Sloan, J., Swetz, K., Von Gunten, C., & Abernethy, A. (2015). Safety and benefit of discontinuing statin therapy in the setting of advanced, life-limiting illness: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Internal Medicine, 175(5), 691-700.
- Prince-Paul, MJ., Exline, J. J., & Zyzanski, S. (2013). The RelCom-S: A Screening instrument to assess personal relationships and communication in serious illness. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 15(5), 298-306. Doi: 10.1097/NJH.Ob01e31828Obd.
- Exline, J., Prince-Paul, MJ., Root, B., & Peereboom, K. (2013). The Spiritual struggle of anger toward God: A Study with family members of hospice patients. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 16(4), 369-375. doi:10.1089/jpm.2012.0246.
- Exline, JJ., Prince-Paul, MJ., Root, BL., Peereboom, K., & Worthington, E. (2012). Forgiveness, depressive symptoms, and communication at the end of life: A Study with family members of hospice patients. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 15(10), 1113-1119
- Prince-Paul, M & Exline, J. (2010). Personal relationships and communication messages at the end of life. Nurs Clin North Am. 2010 Sep;45(3):449-63. doi: 10.1016/j.cnur.2010.03.008.
- Pulchalski, C., Ferrell, B., Virani, R., Otis-Green, S., Baird, P., Bull, J., Chochinov, H., Handzo, G., Nelson-Becker, H., Prince-Paul, M., Pugliese, K., & Sulmasy, D. (2009). Improving the quality of spiritual care as a dimension of palliative care: The Report of the Consensus Conference. J Palliat Med. 2009 Oct;12(10):885-904. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2009.0142.
Textbook of Palliative Care Communication
- Edited by Elaine Wittenberg, Betty Ferrell, Joy Goldsmith, Thomas Smith, Myra Glajchen, George Handzo, and Sandra L. Ragan
- Chapter: Family Member Experience of Caregiving Prince-Paul, MJ., & Vrutunski, K. (Oct. 2015). Oxford University Press
Textbook of Palliative Care (4th ed.)
- Edited by B. Ferrell , J. Paice & N. Coyle
- Chapter: Ethical Considerations in Palliative Care Prince-Paul, M. & Daly, BJ. (2015). Oxford University Press
Doctor of Philosophy
Case Western Reserve University
Master of Science in Nursing
Case Western Reserve University
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Wright State University