Scott Frank, MD, MS, is a public health and family medicine educator, researcher, and practitioner. He serves as director of health for the City of Shaker Heights and is the principal investigator of the Health Data Matters online resource. Dr. Frank maintains a clinical family practice and has annually been named among the “Best Doctors in America” since 2002. He is involved in research and teaching domains such as social justice, public health services and systems, public health information technology, adolescent health, tobacco control, substance abuse prevention, public health and medicine, assessment of stress, and the role of spirituality and religion in the medical setting.
- Behavior change
- Smoking cessation
- Substance abuse
- Clinical assessment of stress
- Role of spirituality and religion in the medical setting
- Gunay, E, Ersel, M, Yax, JA, Sheele, JM, Karakurt, G, Acar, K, Frank, SH. Disaster Training Needs and Expectations Among Turkish Emergency Medicine Physicians - A National Survey. Disaster Med Public Health Prep 2019; : 1-7. PubMed PMID:31270005.
- Koch, CG, Duncan, AI, Figueroa, P, Dai, L, Sessler, DI, Frank, SM, Ness, PM, Mihaljevic, T, Blackstone, EH. Real Age: Red Blood Cell Aging During Storage. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2019; 107 (3): 973-980. PubMed PMID:30342044.
- Tsai, S, Frank, SH, Bordeaux, JS. Improving Sun-Protective Behaviors and Self-Skin Examinations Among African Americans: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Dermatol Surg 2018; 44 (4): 512-518. PubMed PMID:29016548 .
- Pagano, ME, Swaringen, SE, Frank, SH. Low Other-Regard and Adolescent Addiction. J Child Adolesc Subst Abuse ; 25 (3): 268-276. PubMed PMID:27482148 PubMed Central PMC4964961.
- Diamond, SE, Dunn, RR, Frank, SD, Haddad, NM, Martin, RA. Shared and unique responses of insects to the interaction of urbanization and background climate. Curr Opin Insect Sci 2015; 11 : 71-77. PubMed PMID:28285761 .
- Cordoba-Chacon, J, Majumdar, N, List, EO, Diaz-Ruiz, A, Frank, SJ, Manzano, A, Bartrons, R, Puchowicz, M, Kopchick, JJ, Kineman, RD. Growth Hormone Inhibits Hepatic De Novo Lipogenesis in Adult Mice. Diabetes 2015; 64 (9): 3093-103. PubMed PMID:26015548 PubMed Central PMC4542445.
- Golchin, N, Frank, SH, Vince, A, Isham, L, Meropol, SB. Polypharmacy in the elderly. J Res Pharm Pract ; 4 (2): 85-8. PubMed PMID:25984546 PubMed Central PMC4418141.
- Huck, DM, Nalubwama, H, Longenecker, CT, Frank, SH, Okello, E, Webel, AR. A qualitative examination of secondary prophylaxis in rheumatic heart disease: factors influencing adherence to secondary prophylaxis in Uganda. Glob Heart 2015; 10 (1): 63-69.e1. PubMed PMID:25754568 .
- Sood, RK, Torroella Carney, M, Buchman, T, Cabello, CS, Lynch, JF, Frank, SH, Trapl, ES. First time compliance inspections to evaluate an artificial trans fat ban in Nassau County. Clin Ther 2014; 36 (3): 333-7.e1. PubMed PMID:24636819 .
- Frank, SH. Principles for authentic population health. Am J Prev Med 2011; 41 (4 Suppl 3): S152-4. PubMed PMID:21961656 .
- Trapl, ES, Terchek, JJ, Danosky, L, Cofie, L, Brooks-Russell, A, Frank, SH. Complexity of measuring "cigar use" in adolescents: results from a split sample experiment. Nicotine Tob. Res. 2011; 13 (4): 291-5. PubMed PMID:21330280 PubMed Central PMC5935518.
- Golski, CA, Rome, ES, Martin, RJ, Frank, SH, Worley, S, Sun, Z, Hibbs, AM. Pediatric specialists' beliefs about gastroesophageal reflux disease in premature infants. Pediatrics 2010; 125 (1): 96-104. PubMed PMID:20008431 PubMed Central PMC2805060.
Metrics from Web of Science/publons and Scopus/SciVal:
- H-index: 15
- Total publications: 45
- Total citations: 687
- Publications in top-tier journals: 29%
- Collaborative publishing national/international: 80%/14%
- American Journal of Preventive Medicine, board of governors
- Frontiers in Public Health Education and Promotion, editorial board
- Ohio Journal of Public Health, editorial board
Residencies, Internships and Fellowships
Contributions to science:
- Leads community and evidence-based public health initiatives to influence the quality of life in Cleveland and its surrounding communities. Focus is on addressing structural racism, identified as the leading cause of many adverse health outcomes, particularly maternal and infant health.
- Leads national public health association work to inform and advance best practices in public health, particularly in the areas of foodborne epidemics and violence prevention, among others.
- Leads national health education association initiatives to assure the medical school curriculum is fully integrated with public and population health approaches to care
- Leads interdisciplinary practice and research teams that integrate internet–enabled data collection in private and public spheres to advance individual and population health. Current focus is on violence prevention.
Teaching and mentoring:
- Course Director: History and Philosophy of Public Health
- Course Director: Introduction to Public Health
- Capstone supervisor: Hundreds of Master’s students
Student and mentee totals, over Case Western Reserve University career:
- Master’s: 1,200
- PhD: 8