Elizabeth G. Damato, PhD, RN, CPNP
Associate Professor in the School of Nursing
- The effects of premature birth on neurodevelopment
- Effects of neurostimulation on autonomic nervous system response
- Integrating high-density electroencephalography with functional magnetic resonance imaging
- Effects of sleep loss on gene expression
- Effects of sleep loss on executive functioning
- Establishing clinical phenotypes for chronic fatigue syndrome
- Safe infant sleep practices
- PhD, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA. Dissertation: Maternal Prenatal Attachment to Twins
- MSN, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (specializations: Pediatric Primary Care and Perinatal Nursing)
- BSN, Nursing, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
Selected Recent Publications
- Decker, M.J., Muller, K.J., Keating, G.L., Damato, E.G., & Darrah, R. Maternal dietary supplementation with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids confers neuroprotection against hypoxia-induced dopamine dysfunction. Sleep Science. doi:10.1016/j.slsci.2016.05.007
- Barsman, S.G., Dowling, D.A., Damato, E.G., & Czech, P. (in press). Neonatal nurses’ beliefs, knowledge, and practices in relation to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) risk-reduction recommendations. Advances in Neonatal Care.
- Maloni, J.A., Przeworski, A., & Damato, E.G. (2013). Web recruitment and internet use and preferences reported by women with postpartum depression after pregnancy complications. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 27(2), 90-95.
- Damato, E.G., Brubaker, J.A., & Burant, C. (2012). Sleeping arrangements in families with twins. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews, 12(3), 171-178.
- Damato, E.G. & Zupancic, J. (2009). Strategies used by parents of twins to obtain sleep. Applied Nursing Research, 22, 216-220.
- Brubaker, J., Damato, E., Hightower, K., Goris, K., Flaherty, L., & Mesukko, J. (2009). Home sleeping arrangements in families with twins. Advances in Neonatal Care, 9 (2), 86-87.
- Damato, E.G. & Burant, C. (2008). Sleep Patterns and Fatigue in Parents of Twins. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, 37, 738 -749.
- Damato, E.G. (2007). Toward safer infant sleep: Do pacifiers reduce SIDS risk? Nursing for Women’s Health, 11(1), 72-76.
Accreditations and Awards
- 2015 Nominee: Carl F. Wittke Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- 2013 Distinguished Service Award, National Association of Neonatal Nurses
- 2011 Nominee: John S. Diekoff Award for Excellence in Graduate Mentoring
- 2009 Jessica Melton Perry Award for Distinguished Teaching in Disciplinary and Professional Writing
- 2007 Woman of Excellence in Research Award, Research Showcase
- 2006 Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Pediatric Nursing Certification Board