Ronald L. Hickman, Jr., PhD, RN, ACNP-BC, FAAN
Associate Professor in the School of Nursing; Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Decision-making under risk and uncertainty
- Evaluation of decision support interventions
- Health services utilization of the acutely/chronically critically ill
- Advanced statistical methods
- Hickman, R. (2010-2012). DECISION: A pilot study of a decision counseling intervention. National Institutes of Health (NIH), Cleveland Translational Science Collaborative (CTSC), KL2 Internal Grant. Role: Principal Investigator
- Hickman, R., & Lipson A. (2010-2011). Readiness to Establish Advance Directives (READi) Trial. University Center for Aging and Health, President's Initiative and MacGregor Foundation Fund. Role: Principal Investigator
- Clochesy, J., Hickman, R., Dolansky, M., Montenegro, H., Noeller, T., et al. (2009-2011). Electronic Self-Management Intervention to Reduce Health Disparities (eSMART-HD). NIH, National Institute for Minority Health and Health Disparities. 1RC2MD004760. Role: Co-Investigator
- Hickman, R. (2009-2010). Exploring the Consequences and Perceptions of Complex Treatment Decisions. NIH, CTSC, KL2 Internal Grant. Role: Principal Investigator
- Hickman, R. (2008-2009). Decisional Consequences in Recipients of Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators. American Nurses Foundation. Role: Principal Investigator
- Clinical Research Loan Repayment. Hickman, R. (2011-2013). Extramural Clinical Research Loan Repayment Award. NIH, National Center for Research Resources. Role: Recipient
- Postdoctoral Career Development and Training. Davis, P., & Rudick, R. (2008-2012). Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Training Program
- (MCRTP-KL2), a component of the Clinical and Translational Collaborative. NIH, National Center for Research Resources, (1KL2RR024990). Role: Clinical Research Scholar
- Predoctoral Career Development and Training. Daly, B., & Hickman, R. (2006-2008). Promoting Diversity in Health Related Research Supplement. NIH, National Institute of Nursing Research, (NR08941). Role: Co-Investigator
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Acute and Critical Care Nursing
- Advanced Pathophysiology
- Simulation and use of innovative educational technology
- 2000 BA, Biological Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- 2002 Certificate of Professional Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- 2006 MSN, Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- 2008 PhD, Nursing Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Hickman, R., Daly, B., & Lee, E. (in press). Decisional conflict and regret: consequences of surrogate decision making for the chronically critically ill. Applied Nursing Research.
- Hickman, R., Daly, B., Douglas, S., Burant, C. (in press). Exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis of the Critical Care Family Satisfaction Survey. Western Journal of Nursing Research, [Epub ahead of print].
- Hickman, R., Daly, B., Douglas, S., & Clochesy, J. (2010). Informational coping style and depressive symptoms in family decision makers. American Journal of Critical Care, 19, 410-420.
- Hickman, R., & Douglas, S. (2010). Impact of chronic critical illness on the psychological outcomes of family members. AACN Advanced Critical Care. 21, 1, 80–91.
- Daly, B., Douglas, S., O'Toole, E., Gordon, N., Hejal, R., Rowbottom, J., Garland, A., Lilly, C., Wiencek, C., & Hickman, R. (2010). Effectiveness trial of an intensive communication structure for families of the chronically critically ill. CHEST, 138, 6, 1340-1348.
- Douglas, S., Daly, B., O'Toole, E., & Hickman, R. (2010). Depression among white and nonwhite caregivers of the chronically critically ill. Journal of Critical Care;25, 2, e-11-e-19.