Dr. Hardin's research focuses on the influence of trust on adolescents' health behavior and health outcomes. Dr. Hardin has designed a series of pilot studies to evaluate the neurobiological mechanisms of adolescent trust-building self-management interventions using fMRI and respiratory sinus arrhythmia. Currently, Dr. Hardin has two studies; one study addresses body mass index in preteens and another study addresses depressive symptoms in teenagers. These studies will evaluate the neuroprocessing and self-regulation mechanisms associated with improving adolescent/parent relationship quality, health behavior, and health outcomes.
- Community Health Nursing
- Self-Management of Health
- Nursing Leadership
- Pediatric Nursing
- Family Nursing
- Adolescent self-management of obesity and depression
- Trust-building behavior interventions
- Adolescent neuroprocessing and self-regulation
- Project Principal Investigator, The Effects of a Trust-building Intervention on Adolescent Weight Self-Management Behaviors, Center of Excellence for Self-Management Advancements through Research and Translation (SMART), S. Moore Principal Investigator, P30 NR 015326-01, 8/01/16-07/31/18.
Awards and Honors
- Hardin, H.K., Speck, B.J., McCarthy, V.L., & Crawford, T.N. Diminished Trust of Healthcare Providers, Risky Lifestyle Behaviors, and Low Use of Health Services: A Descriptive Study of Rural Adolescents. J Sch Nurs. 2017 Jan 1:1059840517725787. doi: 10.1177/1059840517725787.
- Moore, S., Komton, V., Adegite-Adeniyi, C., Dolanski, M., Hardin, H.K., & Borawski, E.. Development of the Systems Thinking Scale for Adolescent Behavior Change. West J Nurs Res. 2018 Mar;40(3):375-387. doi: 10.1177/0193945917697219. Epub 2017 Mar 17.
- Wang, X., Robinson, K., & Hardin, H. (2015). The impact of caregiving on caregivers’ medication adherence and appointment keeping. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 37(12): 1548-1562. doi: 10.1177/0193945914533158
- Wang, X., Hardin, H., Zhou, L., Fang, L., Shi, P., & Robinson, K. (2014). Implementation and evaluation of the chronic-disease self-management program among Chinese immigrant older adults in the U.S. Geriatric Nursing, 35(6): 448-450. doi: 10.1016/j.gerinurse.2014.07.002
- Abusalem, S. & Hardin, H. (2011). Predictors of home health nurses’ change in practice after experiencing care errors. Rehabilitation Nursing, 36(3): 98-105, 128.
- Berger, J., Hardin, H. & Topp, R. (2011). Implementation of a virtual journal club in a clinical setting. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development, 27(3): 116-120. doi: 10.1097/NND.0b013e318217b3bc
- Hardin, H. & McKillip, C. (Producers). (2010). The Role of Nurse as Scientist (Still media and audio podcast). Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science & American Academy of Nursing: Washington, D.C. Available at www.nursingscience.org and www.aanet.org