- Oncology nursing
- Nursing theory
- Research methods
- Cancer survivorship
- Family caregivers of cancer patients
- Symptom distress in cancer patients
1R37CA240707-01 (Mazanec, PI), National Institute of Health / National Cancer Institute grant, Building Family Caregiver Skills Using a Simulation-Based Intervention for Care of Patients with Cancer, 07/01/2019 – 06/30/2023
1R01 MD012245-01 (Rosenzweig, PI; Mazanec, Site PI), National Institute of Health / National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities grant, The Symptom Experience, Management, and Outcomes According to Race and Social Determinants of Health (SEMOARS) during Breast Cancer Chemotherapy, 09/27/2017 – 05/31/2022
- IRG-91-022-18 (Mazanec, PI), American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant, A Family-Centered Intervention for the Transition to Living with Multiple Myeloma as a Chronic Illness, 07/01/2013-06/30/2015
- PI, Small Research Grant, Sigma Theta Tau International, 06/01/08-05/31/09
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center Subproject: Prevention Research Educational Post-Doctoral Training Program (PREP). Sponsored by NIH/National Cancer Institute. Rose, PI. 08/01/09-09/30/11.
- Doctoral Student & PI, DSCN-08-202-01 American Cancer Society Doctoral Scholarship in Cancer Nursing. 08/01/08-07/31/09
- Predoctoral Fellow, School of Nursing, CWRU, NIH/NINR T32 NR 009761 Multiple Morbidities in Vulnerable Populations: Nurse Scientist Training. Moore, PI. 08/01/06-07/31/08
Nurse Scientist, Seidman Cancer Center, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center
Kolke, S. M., Kuhlenschmidt, M., Baurer, E., Anthony, M. K., Gittleman, H., Caimi, P. F. & Mazanec, S. R. (Senior Author). (in-press). Factors influencing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation patients’ intention to perform physical activity.Oncology Nursing Forum.
Alsharif, F. H. & Mazanec, S. R. (Senior Author). (2019). The use of complementary and alternative medicine among women with breast cancer in Saudi Arabia. Applied Nursing Research, 48, 75-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
Mazanec, S. R. Sandstrom, K., Coletta, D., Dorth, J., Zender, C., Alfes, C., & Daly, B. J. (2019). Building family caregiver skills using a simulation-based intervention: a randomized pilot trial. Oncology Nursing Forum, 46(4), 419-427.
Roche, B. M., Mazanec, S. (Senior Author), Toly, V. B., & Pateva, I. (2018). Addressing fertility in adolescent and young adult oncology patients: a descriptive study. Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1089/jayao.2018.0051
- Mazanec, S. R., Reichlin, D., Gittleman, H., & Daly, B. J. (2018). Perceived needs, preparedness, and emotional distress of male caregivers of postsurgical gynecology/oncology patients. Oncology Nursing Forum, 45(2), 197-205. doi: 10.1188/18.ONF.197-205.
- Mazanec, S. R., Gallagher, P., Miano, W. R., Sattar, A., & Daly, B. J. (2017). Comprehensive assessment of cancer survivors' concerns to inform program development. Journal of Community and Supportive Oncology, 15(3), e155-3162. doi: https://doi.org/10.12788/jcso.0338
- Mazanec, S. R., Miano, S., Baer, L., Campagnaro, E. L., Sattar, A., & Daly, B. J. (2017) A family-centered intervention for the transition to living with multiple myeloma as a chronic illness: a pilot study. Applied Nursing Research. doi: 10.1016/j.apnr.2017.03.003.
- Sandstrom, S.K., Mazanec, S. R., Gittleman, H., Barnholtz-Sloan, J., Tamburro, N., & Daly, B. J. (2016). A descriptive, longitudinal study of quality of life and perceived health needs in patients with head and neck cancer. Journal of the Advanced Practitioner in Oncology, 7(6), 640-651. doi:10.6004/jadpro.2016.7.6.6
- Mazanec, S. R., Sattar, A., Delaney, C. P., & Daly, B. J. (2016). Activation for health management in colorectal cancer survivors and their family caregivers. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 38(3), 325-344.doi:10.1177/0193945915604055
- Kuhlenschmidt, M., Reeber, C., Wallace, C., Chen, Y., Barnholtz-Sloan, J.,Mazanec, S. R. (2016). Tailoring education to perceived risk for falls in hospitalized oncology patients: A randomized controlled trial. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 20(1), 84-89. doi:10.1188/16.CJON.84-89
- Mazanec, S. R., Flocke, S. A., & Daly, B. J. (2015). Health behaviors in family members of patients completing cancer treatment. Oncology Nursing Forum, 42(1), 54-62. doi:10.1188/15.ONF.54-62
- Mazanec, S. R., Daly, B. J., Meropol, N. J., & Step, M. (2012). Facilitating enrollment in a cancer registry through modified consent procedures: a pilot study. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics, 7(5), 71-75.
- Mazanec, S. R., Daly, B. J., Douglas, S. L. & Musil, C. (2011). Predictors of psychosocial adjustment during the post-radiation treatment transition. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 33(4), 540-559. doi:10.1177/0193945910382241
- Mazanec, S. R., Daly, B. J., Douglas, S. L. & Lipson, A. R. (2011). Work productivity and health of informal caregivers of persons with advanced cancer. Research in Nursing & Health, 34.483-495. doi: 10.1002/nur.20461
- Contributor to: Iwamoto, R. R., Haas, M. L. & Gosselin, T. K. (Eds.) Manual for Radiation Oncology Nursing Practice and Education, 4th Ed. Oncology Nursing Society. 2012.