Lead Poisoning Screening Model
The process begins with a Parent Information and Consent "Snacks and Screening," providing lead hazard and prevention information. This session includes community health workers, residents and the CWRU School of Nursing.
Next, CWRU School of Nursing will screen all 3- to 6-year-old at elementary schools and daycare facilities.
If the test results are positive, graduate students from the CWRU School of Nursing will conduct a second test using a venous blood draw.
For those with results between 5 and 10 mcg/l:
- The navigation team, including a community health worker and graduate nursing student, will work with the family for support information and referral.
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District will provide additional support for education.
- The navigation team will work to find a medical home for treatment, including MetroHealth, neighborhood clinics, Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals and the City of Cleveland Department of Health.
- Healthy Home (GUCCHI): testing, remediation, and temporary housing through Environmental Health Watch, Famicos and congregations.
For those with results above 10 mcg/l:
- Individuals will be referred to the City of Cleveland Department of Health, with follow-up support from community health workers.
- The navigation team will provide support as appropriate.