PhD Legacy Fellows
The Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing seeks to honor its rich history of producing the nation’s top nurse scientists through its Legacy Fellows Program. This elite group of high achieving individuals will receive full tuition support as well as education allowances for participating on research teams as research assistants. Acceptance in the program is based on academic performance, research interests and professional leadership potential. Learn more about our current Legacy Fellows.
To qualify for this prestigious award, prospective students must be high-achieving individuals, as demonstrated by their:
- Academic performance,
- Research interests,
- Professional leadership,
- Interest in the pursuit of a PhD in nursing and
- Desire to build careers as nurse scientists.
Legacy Fellowships are evaluated annually for re-appointment utilizing the same criteria provided for the application.
Specific criteria are tailored to various target audiences.
For the 2018–2019 academic year, special consideration will be given to applicants who wish to complete the PhD in nursing degree in three years, which requires a full time, focused commitment to PhD study. They need a clearly defined research focus that match with ongoing research of FPB nurse scientists.
This renewable, annual award for highly selective PhD students with national leadership potential includes:
- Full tuition support for up to five years, up to $250,000
- $6,000 educational allowance per academic year
- Participation in 20 hours a week (1000 per year) as a research assistant
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have permanent residency status
- Must hold a bachelor's degree
- Must be licensed as a registered nurse in the United States
- Preference given to full-time study
Submit/upload the following items with your completed PhD application through the School of Graduate Studies:
- An essay in the form of an official letter requesting consideration for this highly competitive fellowship.
- The letter should address
- how you meet the requirements and eligibility criteria for the legacy funding as outlined above,
- a description of your achievements
- and personal characteristics that set you apart from others who will also be requesting this funding.
For further application instructions, visit our admissions page.