IRB: Human Subjects Approval
Human Subjects Approval: Institutional Review Boards (IRB)
All students and faculty must have both School of Nursing (SON) and University human subjects approval for their research projects regardless of where the project will be conducted. However, the method for obtaining that approval varies somewhat depending on where the project will be conducted.
Policies and regulations change on a regular basis; thus, working through the Center for Research and Scholarship (CFRS) will help you obtain the needed approval. Violation of IRB rules and policies can have serious consequences, including academic integrity actions and faculty censure. All students must have faculty approval of their IRB applications.
Investigators must submit their IRB applications to the CFRS within the School of Nursing, through the appropriate electronic portal, where it will first be reviewed prior to final approval signature of Dr. Shirley Moore, Associate Dean for Research. It is the responsibility of the investigator to monitor progress of the IRB application.
Plan for the IRB approval process to take approximately 8 to 12 weeks from the time of initial submission.
Case Western Reserve University has five IRBs that can provide “University” approval. Approval from any one of these five IRBs constitutes CWRU approval. The five sites are: CWRU, University Hospitals of Cleveland, MetroHealth Medical Center, Veteran’s Administration Hospital, and the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
Learn more about the Cleveland Area Reliant IRB Review Process.
Guidelines and applications for the Case Western Reserve IRBs:
- CWRU (Behavioral) IRB
- University Hospitals IRB (UH Main Campus)
- University Hospitals has an electronic IRB submission. Please see their website for details.
- MetroHealth Medical Center IRB
- MetroHealth Medical Center has an electronic submission process. Please see their website for details.
- Veteran's Administration Hospital IRB
- The VA has an electronic submission process. Please see their website for details.
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (email@example.com)
- At this time, the Cleveland Clinic Foundation does not have forms available online.
- To obtain the forms, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 216.445.4094.
Associate Dean for Research:
Assistant Dean for Research:
Assistant Dean for Research Administration:
Assistant Director of the Center for Research & Scholarship:
Sally Garrett Karyo