This career interest area focuses on pathways and opportunities that require careful observation, rigorous experimentation and skills that equip you to analyze and evaluate data. You might conduct research, pursue graduate and professional programs, tackle the problems that face our environment and more!
Explore the list of resources below to learn more about career paths in the Sciences: Life, Physical. These resources will help you discover opportunities, grow your network and more!
Join the Sciences: Life, Physical career interest area in Handshake:
- Log in to Handshake
- Click on your name in the top right corner of the screen
- Select 'Career Interests'
- Navigate to the question 'In what career interest areas are you most interested?'
- Select the 'Sciences: Life, Physical' career interest area
- Click the 'Save My Career Interests Button'
- Biotech, Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Company Directory
- Chemistry resources from ACS
- Day-in-the-life article for biotech
- Vault Guides (sign in to Vault through My Career before accessing the guides below)
Opportunities and listings
- CWRU LaunchNET
- Education Abroad
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates
- Pathways to Science
- Postdoc Jobs
- PhD Job Resources
- Practicum Program
- Science Careers Jobs Database
- ScienceJobs.org Database
- Sears think[box] hands on programs
- Summer internships in Biology, listing furnished by Columbia University
- U.S. Federal Government STEM Undergrad Program
Networking the best way to tap into the hidden job market—an immense underground marketplace where jobs open up and then are filled through word of mouth and personal referrals.
There are many ways to network at CWRU:
- Alumni Career Network
- Career fairs
- Events with employers
- Informational Interviews
- Labs Explorer: a platform to collaborate with researchers and share your expertise
- ResearchGate: connect with the scientific community, share your work and collaborate
- Strategies for networking in science with social media
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Chemical Society
- American Institute of Physics
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- American Geosciences Institute
- Association for Women in Science
- Ecological Society of America
- National Council for Science and the Environment
- National Environmental Health Association
- Society of Physics Students
- Society of Women Environmental Professionals
Here is a selection of organizations that might interest you:
- Alpha Chi Sigma
- American Chemical Society
- Biochemistry Society
- Geological Society
- Math Club
- Physics and Astronomy Club
- Science Olympiad Organization
- Women in Physics and Astronomy Club
- Women in Science and Engineering Roundtable (WISER)
For a full list of student clubs and organizations that match your interests, visit CampusGroups.
Data and outcomes
- Data USA: facts about employment, salary and more by major/industry category
- U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics by Industry
- Industry rankings in STEM
- Read about outcomes and data for CWRU students.
Trends and news
- BioSpace: Online community for industry news and careers for life sciences professionals.
- HealthcareDIVE: Online newsletter focused on the latest developments in health IT, practice management, hospital administration and more in health and healthcare industries.
- Science AAAS: Online journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science providing current science developments, career articles and resources and job posting sites.
- Science Daily: Online news site covering discoveries in all fields of the physical, biological, earth and applied sciences.