Campus Security Authority FAQs

A Campus Security Authority (CSA) includes certain departments, groups and individual university employees who have a duty to report crimes they become aware of, as defined by the Clery Act.

Remember: A CSA is not responsible for determining whether a crime took place. But when someone comes to you for help, you are responsible for doing the following:

  • Listen to what they have to say
  • Inform them (what you’ll do, what they can expect)
  • Refer them
  • Thank them
  • Report it
    • If you are unsure whether the crime should be reported, REPORT IT! There is no harm in submitting a report that may not need included as a statistic. However, not reporting Clery Crimes could cause the university to be penalized.

Below are a few frequently asked questions about CSAs.

Jeanne Clery, a Lehigh University Student, was raped and murdered in 1986 in her dorm room. The perpetrator was another student who she did not know.

Her death caused a reform in campus security, the Clery Act, which mandates universities alert people on campus of potential safety concerns, and provide information about crime statistics, security policy and procedure

  • Murder/Non-negligent Manslaughter
  • Manslaughter by Negligence
  • Sex Offenses
  • Rape
  • Fondling
  • Incest
  • Statutory Rape
  • Robbery
  • Aggravated Assault
  • Burglary
  • Motor Vehicle Theft
  • Arson
  • Hate Crimes: Any of the previously listed crimes plus:
    • Larceny-theft
    • Simple Assault
    • Intimidation
    • Destruction/Damage/
    • Vandalism of Property
  • Arrests & Referrals:
    • Liquor Law Violations
    • Drug Law Violations
    • Weapons Law Violations
  • Dating Violence
  • Domestic Violence
  • Stalking
  • You are a trusted person on the CWRU campus.
  • You are in a role where a fellow student, faculty member or staff may come to you for support.
  • You play a very important role in assisting with the prevention and response to crime!

A few examples include:

  • A dean of students who oversees student housing
  • Director of athletics, team coach, or faculty advisor to student group
  • A student resident advisor or assistant
  • A coordinator of Greek affairs.

Report Clery crimes to your supervisor or the CWRU Police Department.

Keep in mind, ALL crimes need to be reported to the police department; however, Clery crimes need to be reported as a statistic as well.

Remember: The individual reporting the crime may not want police involvement. That is their right; however, YOU MUST STILL REPORT THE CLERY CRIME; the crime will need to be reported as a statistic.

Reporting is easy! Fill out the CSA incident report form.

  • Date/time of the incident
  • General location
  • Description (nature of the crime)