Case Western Reserve University Division of Public Safety
Location of incident: Ford Drive and Hessler Road
Date of Incident: Jan. 11, 2023
Time of Incident: 6:25 a.m.
Incident Description: A suspect pushed down a victim and stole money from the victim’s pocket before fleeing on foot. No weapon was involved in the robbery. The victim was not affiliated with Case Western Reserve University.
Suspect(s) Description: The suspect is described as a Black male in his 20s or 30s, approximately 5 feet, 7 inches to 5 feet, 9 inches, and with a slender build.
Additional information: Case Western Reserve University and University Circle police are investigating.
Initiated: Jan. 11, 2023
Information provided by: Case Western Reserve University Police Department
Survivors of crime are never at fault for their victimization. It is the perpetrators of these crimes who are responsible for their actions that make our campus less safe. However, Case Western Reserve University police would like to provide tips to the campus community that may help prevent future crimes:
- Use the buddy system with people you trust. Do not walk alone after dark. When moving around the area at night, try to stick to better lit and more traveled routes, or walking with friends.
- Avoid using cell phones or other technology while walking and remain aware of your surroundings.
- Download and use the Spartan Ride app to access Safe Ride services and shuttle routes. Safe Ride runs seven days a week, between 6 p.m. and 3 a.m.
- Trust your gut feelings and avoid persons and situations that make you feel uncomfortable.
- See something, say something. Report any suspicious behavior to CWRU Police in the Spartan Safe app or by calling 216.368.3331.
- If you feel threatened or uncomfortable in regards to your safety, call CWRU Police at 216.368.3333. If a situation is making you nervous, don't be afraid to alter your route, duck into a store or call for help.
Case Western Reserve University is committed to providing a safe environment for all members of the community. We strongly encourage individuals to regularly check case.edu/publicsafety/safety-
If you have any information on this crime, please call 216.368.3333 as soon as possible. If you would like to leave an anonymous tip, please call 216.368.3331.
Case Western Reserve University Division of Public Safety releases security alerts, in compliance with the federal Clery Act, when a Clery-reportable crime is committed and the university determines there is an ongoing threat on campus to the health or safety of students or employees.